walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell Trio - under-appreciated ?

Cairnwell Trio - under-appreciated ?

Postby craighall » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Date walked: 07/08/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed these the day before my 49th birthday, boasting my Munros from 2 to 5 in one fell swoop ! Felt chuffed, OK, I know the car park is at 2,200 ft !

I suspect these get a bad press, but in terms of ease to get to and enjoying a breadth of walking experience, I think they are much under-appreciated.

The horseshoe, admittedly not the most challenging, out to Carn a'Gheoidh, was very memorable.

Michael,
Edinburgh.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Re: Cairnwell Trio - under-appreciated ?

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:08 pm

I'll happily admit that these hills would be somewhere near the bottom of my league table if I had one. But that's not to say they aren't worth doing. I don't know who said "there's no such thing as a bad hill, only degrees of goodness", but that's pretty much a theory I subscribe to. Any hill can be inspiring given the right weather conditions or frame of mind.

So the chances are I'll have a dig at this group, but only in comparison with something better (e.g. I did a circuit of 3 Grahams in nearby Glen Isla last October, and found them to be more varied and enjoyable than this group).

Also, I'm sure you'll agree that distance from home plays a part in how you view a particular hill. I have to drive past a lot of better hills to get to this group, so am less likely to bother with them. Ben Wyvis, on the other hand, is also a hill which gets bad press, but the fact I can see it from my house (and drive to it in half an hour) puts it much higher in my estimation than it might otherwise be.

Anyway, that was just some of my random musings for the afternoon - not sure whether I was agreeing with you or not :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:27 pm

carn bhinnien top off of CAG is awesome; absolute highlight of that round.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby gagfax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm

The highlight of this group of hills is the wee top Carn Bhinnein. A good spot for lunch.

*edit GGE beat me to it :lol:
gagfax

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:07 pm

:lol: :lol:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Michael,

I seem to following in your footsteps. Ben Chonzie for me either Wednesday or Thursday, and then Cairnwell 3 on Monday.

I'm not stalking you- honest!!!

Thanks for posting. X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland