walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shalloch on Minnoch 15.06.11

Shalloch on Minnoch 15.06.11

Postby jbaileyboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Shalloch on Minnoch

Donalds included on this walk: Shalloch on Minnoch

Date walked: 15/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 586m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meant to be studying for Uni but decided to go for a day on the hills instead. MWIS was not looking to great for the weather but decided to go for a walk anyway.

Weather was looking pretty good at first, although the summits of the Corbetts in Dumfries and Galloway could not be seen. Hit the clouds at about 600m along with some heavy rain. Time to put the water proofs on and decide wither or not to carry on. Visibility was still good at this time so carry on I did.

Visibility was reducing all the way to the top. Stopped at a wee cairn for some shelter out the wind and have something to eat. Knew I was pretty near the trig point and when the visibility increased I could see the trip point about 50 yards away. After a wee rest at the trig point I then carried on to the summit a couple of hundred yards away.

Scholl boy error at the top when I decided to head back down. Set off on wrong bearing and missed the trig point. Was going to far North. Realised I was not on the same path and when the clouds cleared a little I gathered my bearings and set off on the right direction for the long walk back to the car.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jbaileyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland