walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

fort william

fort william

Postby RUGBYPLAYER » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1372m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My son Andrew and I have a wild camping trip planned in the Cairngorms in a couple of weeks so with this in mind we decided to get some long walks under our belts beforehand. We drove up to Fort William on the Friday night and camped at the Glen Mavis camp site. We started out at 7:30am and headed up Glen Nevis and parked at the road end. We headed up through the forest and came out at at the waterfall at the foot of An Gearanach.
DSC_0074.jpg

From here we walked up Glen Mavis about 3km untill we caught our first sight of Binnien Beag and Binnien Mor in the distance
DSC_0079.jpg

The ascent up Binnein Beag is pretty steep all the way and when we were 200m from the summit the path looked pretty scary to the top so we veared to the west as it looked as if there was a bit of aridge that would make the climb a bit easier. We should'nt have bothered as when we stumbled upon a path it turned all loose scree near the top and it was a real slog to the top. We were rewarded for our efforts with a great view of Binnien Mor and Ben Nevis. Picture below is Binnien Mor
DSC_0088.jpg

Picture below was our first clear view of Ben Nevis
DSC_0087.jpg

From here we headed for the north east ridge of Binnien Mor which was pretty staight forward untill the last 300m which is a very steep grassy slope. This section was a real lung buster especially when trying to keep up with a 12 year old wearing a heavy pack. Picture below was after I had caught my breath
DSC_0093.jpg

The ridge walk from here to Na Gruagaichean provided a chance to cool down and was by far the easiest section of the walk.As you can see from the photo below.
DSC_0091.jpg

After lunch at the top of the third munro of the day we doubled back and headed for Sgurr Elide Mor. There is a steep drop from the ridge here as you head down towards the hill lochs at the foot of Sgurr Elide Mor. This is another real lung buster as it is a mixture of a very steep climb mixed with some loose stones and very few hand holds. I must admit to a certain amount of satisfaction when at last my son started to show signs of tiring.
DSC_0096.jpg

From the top we got a really good view of the first munro of the day and although it was the smallest as you will see from the picture below it is very steep
DSC_0102_edited-1.jpg

We then headed north east back down to Glen Nevis for the 7km treck back to the car. This did make for a long day but the views and weather we had made up for it. On the Sunday morning we took in Ben Nevis as my son had never climbed it before. I have added a few picks from the walk. As usual there was no view from the top.

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

We took 4hrs 20mins on the Sunday and were back at the car for 1:20am before the crowds arrived.
DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg
RUGBYPLAYER

Munros:141   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: fort william

Postby PeteR » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Good effort to both of you :D That was a good couple of days walking for you and your boy :thumbup: I still have the eastern Mamores to do. I've been putting them off, but think later this summer they should be bagged :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Good report and nice to see them climbed from the Glen Nevis side too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby iainwatson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:12 pm

nice report and well done to your boy,great stuff!

think i met you at the cobbler in dec (i was the one coming off the rock cursing and swearing,lol) and then again on the summit of Creag Leacach up at Glenshee around march sometime

i've tried to get my son to go camping but not succeeded yet,maybe have to trick him into it :lol:
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland