walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Strathconon Corbett

A Strathconon Corbett

Postby beth grant » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallan nan Uan

Date walked: 28/06/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday 14th. June myself and a group of friends set out from Strathanmore and ascended Meallan Nan Uan.Firsly we made our way to Creag Ruadh and this is the most arduous part of the walk as there is no track to follow on the very steep heathery slopes.However the going gets easier after this as there is now a path leading to good ridge walking to the summit of Meallan Nan Uan. The views were astounding, not only of nearby ranges, Ben Rinnes was easily recognisable to the east.We saw large herds of deer,ptarmigan and chicks and red kite.Strathconon must rank as one of the most beautiful areas in the country.
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Strathconon Corbett

Postby maddjock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:57 am

this is a great wee hill, I climbed it and its neighbour Sgurr a'Mhuillin myself a few months ago with a little bit of snow still on top and really enjoyed them. I agree with you about the start of the walk, that was pretty arduous... well worth it though. :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby beth grant » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Tried initially to include a photo of Meallan Nan Uan in my walk report but without success. However Paul suggested downloading Picassa3 and down sizing photos by this method which I have done so hoping this time round and if successful I must admit the programme is really easy to navigate.
Attachments
Meallan Nan Uan from Creag Ruadh.jpg
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Cuillin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 pm

beth grant wrote:On Sunday 14th. June myself and a group of friends set out from Strathanmore and ascended Meallan Nan Uan.Firsly we made our way to Creag Ruadh and this is the most arduous part of the walk as there is no track to follow on the very steep heathery slopes.However the going gets easier after this as there is now a path leading to good ridge walking to the summit of Meallan Nan Uan. The views were astounding, not only of nearby ranges, Ben Rinnes was easily recognisable to the east.We saw large herds of deer,ptarmigan and chicks and red kite.Strathconon must rank as one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of this beautiful glen which has less hill walker traffic because it "only" has Corbetts and Grahams. I'm looking forward to doing the Strathconon Grahams this winter as I understand that Meall na Faochaig (near Meallan Nan Uan) is a superb viewpoint.
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland