walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Postby steven65 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 16/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1020m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my recent dissapointment on not completing Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh on 29 / 5 due to very poor ( horrific) weather , i decided to re-do them on Tue 14/6 in much kinder conditions all together.The River Lochay was much lower than my previous visit so i forded it no problem at all - previously i`d to go along west and use the footbridge. I arrived at 930 & was off soon after with Oskar accompanying me as usual. I took the route described here on the site and apart from the total mud fest through the forrest section i enjoyed my day on the hill very much.Out of the trees onto the hill towards Fionn Choiren then heading due east along the fence line and then strike out up the grassy slopes onto Ben Lui. On exiting the trees a group of workers were errecting a new steel gate - so no more stile climbing over the fence in the near future. New posts and wire line lay about the area , so they must be renewing the deer fence soon. I spoke to the guys for a few minutes then i was off. On coming onto Ben Lui north ridge i stopped to watch 2 deer quite close -by who were having a good stare at us , further up i met the 1st group of walkers that day a nice couple from Brighton we chatted a bit before parting, then re -met on the summit & again on Chleibh where we shared a coffee & i gave them spare water & a banana ! as they were continuing perhaps onto Dalmally / Loch Awe & were running low on goodies. As it was a fine day they were in no rush to return to their wig-wam near Tyndrum. Back to Lui summit now & it was busy , a German couple , then an English couple summitted then 4 guys from Sheffield coming a top just as i was making my way off - after a lovely 40 minute break enjoying the amazing vista. Next i met a lone female walker who was doing 4 tops !! these 2 & Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig. She was chatting to the couple from Brighton on the bealach a quick hi and she was off traversing around Ben Lui heading for Coire Laoigh & Ben Oss....fit or what eh ! Once on Chleibh a wee 15 minute break -time for Oskar to eat the last s/wich & for me to finish my coffee & then home time , i wished the couple from Brighton well & descended from Chleibh in the company of " Cannon Dave " from Edinburgh - a member here on Walk Highlands & like me a relative "newbie " to walking / climbing . We clambered through the mud fest once more on our way down - it really is a "dirty" munro - i`ve only done 23 munros but this is definatley the boggiest i`ve climbed yet & it`s nearly mid summer too !!
It was nice blethering to Dave on the way down , i quite like walking alone with Oskar - but recently my 2 regular walking / climbing mates have been unavailable ( apart from doing the WHW ) so it was good to have company. On reaching the ford at the Lochay we were joined by 2 guys who`d been coming down behind us - we`d taken totally different routes down via the forrest off of the ridge - they wondered where we`d appeared from !!
Overall a good day out ( barr the mud )with fabulous views & as always Oskar had a ball !!
on Ben Lui with Cruachan behind us
looking accross to Beinn a`Chleibh ......way below
wonderful view over to Cruachan couldn`t have been better
the last hurrah on Beinn a` Chleibh before heading down via Fionn Choiren
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice report Steven, here's hoping the sun comes out soon as I want to do these within the next couple of weeks :eh:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Stretch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Good stuff Steven, always nice to run into fellow WH members. You should have persuaded those workers to construct a better path through the forest :lol: I remember dropping from my regular height of 6'-7" to about 4' after one of my legs disappeared in that mud.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby ndhudson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Good one Steven! Oskar looks like he's eying the next hill...ready for another, me thinks! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Malckyb » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Think we are gonna go for these two on Sunday,looking frwd to it! :D
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   Corbetts:6
Grahams:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby canon_dave » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 am

Nice report Steven, the conditions were described perfectly and the company of your good self and Oskar made for a good descent, i'll hopefully meet you both again soon :D
canon_dave
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1

Postby monty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

Nice report Steven. Sounds like a realy busy day on the hill. :D The forest is a bog at the best of times :lol: Oskar looks great :D
monty

Postby Morag M » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Nice report and pics, Ben Lui is a fantasic one, Beinn a 'Chleibh looks so small from the summit of Lui, love your companion, what a beautiful dog :D
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby steven65 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am

I`ve not been logged in till now............ so thanks for your words guys ( & gals ) it was a GREAT day out :D
Unfortunately i won`t be any hills untill at least 6 / 7 August :shock:
A colleague at work is getting married then there are staff holidays to cover etc so July is a total wipeout :wtf:
At least i managed to fit in 6 Munros recently , roll on August - there`s me wishing my life away !!!!!!!
I might go and lie in a darkened room - the weather outside is beautiful not a day to be inside :(
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2

Postby Paula Hubens » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Steven,
Nice to meet you again! 14 June was a good day for Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chleibh, wasn't it! :D Enjoy your next trip in August!
Paula Hubens

Postby d6unx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi thanks for the report, I am off out to do these 2 bad boys tomorrow, just my luck the weather is due for a change...oh well !!!.
d6unx
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland