walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Skye Part 5: The land of waterfalls

My Skye Part 5: The land of waterfalls

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 am

Route description: Rubh' an Dùnain, Glen Brittle

Date walked: 09/06/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.3 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the time has come to write the last (but not least) chapter of My Skye Reports. It's only a short stroll along the coast but views were so nice that I can't help myself and I must post some pics.
Climbing Sgurr na Banachdidch should be good enough an achievement for one day, especially in unstable weather. But as the forecast shower was likely to be late, after having some tinned lunch we walked down to the beach. With clouds hanging over the Cuillin we managed to capture more snapshots of "moody mountains":
Sgurr Alasdair and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich:
It was an afternoon of contrasts. Mountains were dark but when we turned around, sun reflections in the sea made it look like tropics :lol: :lol:
I spotted a waterfall in the distance and suggested we walked along the coast to have a closer look at it. If we had had more time, we would've considered crossing the whole Rubh an Dunain peninsula, but with those dark clouds hanging about we were happy enough to do a shorter trip.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The stroll turned out to be a really nice journey from one fall to another, with some great views back towards Glen Brittle.
Water wonderland:
Little lamb looking for mommy:
A Skye classic: water + mountains:
We crossed a few streams, each one with a sprinkle or two :D :D ...
Nice coastline:
The Cuillin shadowed by cloud:
A parasailor?... Parasurfer?...
A small footbridge:
Me striking a pose on the rock - this one is safe to show my dad. No vertical drops anywhere...
After about na hour we reached the big waterfall:
We took a boggy path along the small stream to get closer to the fall:
On the way back we kept glancing at the sky... and the mountains:
Another fall:
And more:
Two in one :D :
Crossing burns wasn't always that easy :lol: :lol:
We returned to Glen Brittle just about when the first drops of rain fell from the sky. Forecast said there was more heavy rain to come during the next three days. The island gave us some fantastic experiences but now it was time to go home :( .
The next morning we packed our stuff and drove back to Beauly. But if you think that was our last outing that week, just wait till my next two reports. They will take you to Monadhliath hills and to the Fannichs. Till then - thank you for reading My Skye stories and I hope you all enjoyed them!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:172
Grahams:123   
Sub 2000:56   

Re: My Skye Part 5: The land of waterfalls

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Beautiful pics BP - it is always difficult to capture waterfalls well but these are great, a lovely end to your week (Parasurfing/kitesurfing is the answer) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Enjoyed your set of reports 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Michelle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Enjoyed each installment of your Skye reports BP, they were great to read :)

BlackPanther wrote:Me striking a pose on the rock - this one is safe to show my dad. No vertical drops anywhere...

:lol: This made me laugh, as each time I return from Scotland I have to sort through my photos for the ones that are safe to show mum... she knows I go into to the hills, but she would rather pretend it doesn't happen lol!
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby ndhudson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Looks like a great way to end a great little getaway! On my first visit to Scotland I was amazed at all the water falls that pop up after (or during) a good rain. Anyhow, good job...you're reports are so fun to read!!! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for all your comments, boys and girls :D :D

ndhudson wrote:Looks like a great way to end a great little getaway! On my first visit to Scotland I was amazed at all the water falls that pop up after (or during) a good rain. Anyhow, good job...you're reports are so fun to read!!! :D

It was a wet week - every single night was a wash-out, so waterfalls had a good supply of water, shame we didn't have time to visit the big one at Kilt Rock - it must have been an interesting view!
I'm doing my best to make my reports more than just "I went up the hill, touched the cairn, came down". If you have fun reading them, that means my language skills aren't as bad as I thought - a huge compliment for a non-Brit :D :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Another series of great memory jogging pics, BP. It used to make for a great ending to a days walk to find yourself relaxing beside one of the may falls in the stream. In my mind nothing beats sitting on the edge of the canyon of the Eas Mor Falls.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ndhudson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:12 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It was a wet week - every single night was a wash-out, so waterfalls had a good supply of water, shame we didn't have time to visit the big one at Kilt Rock - it must have been an interesting view!
I'm doing my best to make my reports more than just "I went up the hill, touched the cairn, came down". If you have fun reading them, that means my language skills aren't as bad as I thought - a huge compliment for a non-Brit :D :D :D

Ah ha! I've seen the Kilt Rock waterfall in all it's whisky colored rushing glory! Of course, what American tourist battling the single track roads of Skye doesn't stop there for a short stress break. ;) We are really not used to tiny roads like that. :shock: :lol: :shock: Can't wait to read more...keep'em coming!

Oh...also...I noticed you live in or near Beauly? We spent some time there in 2009, was one of my very favorite places in all of Scotland...the people there were just amazing! For hardly any cost, a very friendly man at Morisons set us up with fishing gear and gave us access to a tiny private loch (small boat included) up in the hills. I believe the loch was to the north of Beauly, but I can't seem to find it on any map. Maybe it's too small to bother putting on a map. Might you have any idea where this may be?

Beauly_Privateloch.jpg
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 pm

ndhudson wrote:Oh...also...I noticed you live in or near Beauly? We spent some time there in 2009, was one of my very favorite places in all of Scotland...the people there were just amazing! For hardly any cost, a very friendly man at Morisons set us up with fishing gear and gave us access to a tiny private loch (small boat included) up in the hills. I believe the loch was to the north of Beauly, but I can't seem to find it on any map. Maybe it's too small to bother putting on a map. Might you have any idea where this may be?

Hmmm... I must admit I only moved to Beauly in 2006 so I'm still not fully "a local" and I don't know every single path here. There are a few small lochans in the woods above Beauly and Muir of Ord which would be on the northern side... I can't be 100% sure but the mast on the left-hand side of your photo looks to me like the one on the top of Cnoc Udais. If I'm right, the lochan could be Loch nam Bonnach or Loch an Eun. Some time last May we have wandered to the top of Cnoc Croit na maoile (319m) and there we took these pics:
ord hill 003.JPG
Cnoc Udais mast

ord hill 013.JPG
Loch nam Bonnach from Cnoc Croit na maoile

ord hill 014.JPG
Loch nam Bonnach from Cnoc Croit na maoile close up

Could that be the same loch?... :D :D :D
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby ndhudson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hmmm... I must admit I only moved to Beauly in 2006 so I'm still not fully "a local" and I don't know every single path here. There are a few small lochans in the woods above Beauly and Muir of Ord which would be on the northern side... I can't be 100% sure but the mast on the left-hand side of your photo looks to me like the one on the top of Cnoc Udais. If I'm right, the lochan could be Loch nam Bonnach or Loch an Eun. Some time last May we have wandered to the top of Cnoc Croit na maoile (319m) and there we took these pics:
Could that be the same loch?... :D :D :D
Cheers
BP
[/quote]

That's the one BP! The peak in the back ground of your last photo is definitely the same as this one...
Beauly_Privateloch2.jpg

Fantastic! Thanks for that, BP!!! :clap:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland