walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a Chaorachain

Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a Chaorachain

Postby icemandan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Chòinnich and Sgùrr a'Chaorachain

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 14/06/2011

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 1399m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Are you sure you really want to do that?" said the guard when I asked her to stop the train at Achnashellach. "There's nothing there".

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd taken Fiona and the land rover back to Inverness. I'd planned just to walk back to Glenuaig. It was almost three o' clock but it was a beautiful day and I figured that the long evening would allow time for some hills. I dismounted on to the little mossy platform in the middle of the rhodedendrons. Puzzlingly, this tiny station had been kitted out with five bike racks and a big no-smoking notice in the little shelter. I couldn't help thinking that if I had to wait any time there, I could put up with a bit of cigarette smoke if it kept the midges down. Access to the station was along an unsurfaced track through some estate buildings.

I'd planned on walking in along a forest track on the south side of the Glen. Unfortunately there was no trace of the bridge marked on my (admittedly 25 years old) OS sheet. I could probably have got across if pursued by a lion but chose to trudge along the road to Craig. I was at the entertaining wire bridge at Pollan Buidhe by 5:00 and up at the Bealach Bearnais not long afterwards. The last time I was here, we ate a miserable lunch cowering behind a large boulder. This time however it was a fantastic softly lit summer evening. From the upper Bealach, Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich (or Cheesecake for short) - an unjustly neglected gem and a much more satisfying mountain than Lurg Mor, looked satisfyingly Matterhorn like.
Image0015.jpg

The east ridge of Choinnich has a beguiling narrow path which leads you up, revealing itself a little at a time, interspersed with short scrambles up small rock steps. Eventually the gradient eases up at a knobbly subsidiary top. The view back towards Skye in the evening light was stunning.
Image0016.jpg

and the corrie dropped away abruptly down to the glen
Image0018.jpg

Sgurr a Chaorachain looks no distance at all away but there is a steep descent. A path slightly off the ridge on the south side made short work of it. The rising ridge on the other side goes up in two steps and the top was reached quickly. A highlight here was Loch Monar - a satisfying caerulian blue in the evening sun.
Image0019.jpg

It was getting late and I regretfully decided that I couldn't squeeze in Bidean an Eoin Dearg. I think Sir Hugh must have had a bad day on this one. It is a pleasing pointed peak, a good mile away from Chaorachainn with a decent reascent - so why isn't it a munro?. (cf. Beinn Tulaichean by Balquhidder).

The pleasant ridge of Sron na Frianich led gently back down to Glenuaig Lodge past the attractive Lochan Gaineamhach.
Image0023.jpg
. The only minor drawback was the slog across the peat hags to the Lodge. If descending from here, it is a lot easier underfoot to cross the Glen adjacent to the old village, half a mile up the Glen.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a Chaorachain

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Good report - great light 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Those photos are beautiful - just what a summer evening should be. :D
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby icemandan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry the picture quality isn't better - they were taken on a phone camera.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland