walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maoile Lunndaidh

Maoile Lunndaidh

Postby icemandan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 13/06/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 921m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

One of the most remote ones and one which was nagging us from the living room window at Glenuaig. We started towards the abandoned village (in 1841, this, now empty, glen supported a population of 92).
Image0025.jpg

The improved land around the village still provides the best route across the Glen which elsewhere is a peat hagged quagmire. Following the guidebook route we slogged up the steep bouldery flank of Carn nan Fiaclan.
Image0026.jpg
. After an hour's hard labour, the ridge begins to ease and there are views down into the rocky corrie of Fuar Tholl Mor
Image0027.jpg

The summit plateau is almost flat and very green. You could hold a game of cricket on it (although rain would stop play quite a lot).
Image0028.jpg

At that point, the fog came in and the gps came out. Two misty marches led to the summit cairn. There was little to linger for and we headed down through the boulders on the north ridge. I did a little detour up to the pleasing subsidiary top of Creag Dhubh Mhor which has a fine full length view of Glen Fhiodhaig and an attractive ridge which took me down to the Glenuaig waterfalls from where a path led along the east bank of the Burn back to the old village.

(Note if I were doing this again, I'd follow the burn up to the Craig Dhubh Mor bealach and up the north ridge - the Carn nam Fiaclan route is an unremitting slog).
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland