walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuide -something for everyone

Beinn Bhuide -something for everyone

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 20/06/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 948m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the combination of a European Time Directive enforced day off :D and some fine weather predicted it was time to get up another hill. I was nudged in the direction of Beinn Bhuidhe by Gagfax who had it on his 'to do' list.

We started off from the carpark (signposted from the A83) and headed up the road through the Fine Ales brewery. And we walked, and walked, and walked some more!

IMG_1288.JPG

We were joined by some noisy cows on their way to get fed. There was no way they were moving for us so we took the cowards' way out and leapt over the nearest fence!

IMG_1289.JPG
They're not pleased!

After about an hour you reach a gate with a sign asking cyclists to dismount and there's a rail nearby to chain up your bikes.
IMG_1293.JPG

After passing through another gate you have the choice to go left up the gorge route (the most direct route) or walk on for 5 minutes ascend grassy slopes. We took option number one and I'm glad we did because it was fantastic. There is a well defined path and it takes you on a real adventure. There are beautiful waterfalls to enjoy and sparkling pools to tempt you. (It was a warm sticky day!).

IMG_1295.JPG

The path is very scrambly for short sections but easily climbed as long as you're happy to spend time finding hand and foot holds. There is a brief respite and then its more of the same as you climb straight up the gorge- fantastic! Sorry no pics- I was too busy concentrating!

As the climb evens out there is a fairly muddy section for a few metres but once past that you reach a fairly big cairn. From here a very distinct path takes you along the ridge to the summit (about 15 min). With the weather being so good the views all the way up were fantastic but nothing compared to those at the summit. What a treat :D

You could see for miles. 360 degrees of perfection!!!!

My camera is very basic so my photos don't show how marvellous it was.
IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

After a spot of lunch, another quick look about and obligatory 'Here's me at the summit photo' and we were off.
IMG_1303.JPG

We took the recommended grassy descent and I must say I didn't enjoy it very much. It was safer than the ascent route and a lot faster. A couple who had left the summit about 20 minutes before us took this way down and they were still on the scrambly path by the time we reached the main tarmac path again.

And so the long walk back to the car started. I really didnt mind it. The weather was still fab and it was good to stretch out the leg muscles before the journey home. As I said in the title, this hill had a fair bit of everything I wanted from a walk. After the disappointment of seeing nothing from Ben Chonzie the previous Wednesday, I was absolutely chuffed! That being said, Gagfax, who has 98 munros under his belt and therefore wider frame of reference, didn't really rate it as highly as many of the others but I hope he enjoyed the day out nonetheless. :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Bhuide -something for everyone

Postby kevsbald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 pm

A good one to get ticked off, P. I did it with a bloke in Winter and ended up having to 'walk him' back to the car as he missed out on breakfast - took us 8 hours. Not so memorable for the right reasons. Well done!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Cheers Kev! I was starving as well when I finished. I can recommend the cafe/bistro typey thing that is housed in the Visitor Centre at Luss- a very pleasant surprise! A vat of parsnip soup took me about 20 minutes to eat and it was delicious :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 pm

A definite plus when you get good weather :D Went the same route as you (but cycled up to the gate) and would agree with your comments - although bad weather setting in meant that I couldn't see anything at the top (so what's new you ask :shock: ). I can now see what I missed :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gagfax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

It was a good summit but that road goes on forever and ever and ever....
Feel daft now about the cows :?
gagfax

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 pm

pollyh33 wrote:With the combination of a European Time Directive enforced day off and some fine weather predicted it was time to get up another hill.

Gawd, don't you just hate it when that happens! Vive l'Europe! :lol: A nice report on one that I still have to do. I'm waiting on my mate Robin to get off his backside and do something about it as it's one of the few he hasn't done (at least within a 2 day radius of Perth!)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:31 pm

rockhopper wrote:A definite plus when you get good weather :D Went the same route as you (but cycled up to the gate) and would agree with your comments - although bad weather setting in meant that I couldn't see anything at the top (so what's new you ask :shock: ). I can now see what I missed :D

Thanks Rockhopper. You're quite right to take a bike, there were a few left at the fence- very tempting :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:34 pm

gagfax wrote:It was a good summit but that road goes on forever and ever and ever....
Feel daft now about the cows :?

Oh I don't know about being daft about the cows, they did sound a bit **** off with us :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:With the combination of a European Time Directive enforced day off and some fine weather predicted it was time to get up another hill.

Gawd, don't you just hate it when that happens! Vive l'Europe! :lol: A nice report on one that I still have to do. I'm waiting on my mate Robin to get off his backside and do something about it as it's one of the few he hasn't done (at least within a 2 day radius of Perth!)

A sneaky day off during the week is always good :D Hope you get round to this one and get some fine weather!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby icemandan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 am

Bikes certainly took the slog out of this one for us - it was unexpected to find a cycle rack provided at the gate. Have to be careful not to spook the cows though. Enjoyed the walk up past the waterfalls although not so inviting for a swim on a grey snowy day in March.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 am

icemandan wrote:Bikes certainly took the slog out of this one for us - it was unexpected to find a cycle rack provided at the gate. Have to be careful not to spook the cows though. Enjoyed the walk up past the waterfalls although not so inviting for a swim on a grey snowy day in March.

Oh yes, bikes and cattle prod would definitely improve this route :D

A zip-slide down those endless grassy slopes would be pretty good as well!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby malky_c » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 am

Looks like a worthwhile hill. Being quite isolated from the surrounding higher hills means you get pretty good views by the looks of it. I think most people are a bit down on it as it is slightly out of the way and only gives a single Munro.

Mind you, it was one of my worst days out ever, with a constant downpour and the cloud at about 400m the whole day. I took a shorter route to the summit via the gravel pit across the glen from your way and a forestry track. Unfortunately I hadn't checked the map, and wandered off back down the 'normal' route. While you have shown that it is a nice way up, the extra hour spent getting back to the car in the never-ending rain wasn't appreciated! :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks Malky,

mmmm, sounds like a pretty grim day! :(
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Another fine report "polly",dont see too much wrong with your pictures.I still have this one on my radar for some time this year,and will also be walking as do not have a bike,looks like a fine wee hill.
You are fairly racking up your munro count this weather,need to watch my back :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine report "polly",dont see too much wrong with your pictures.I still have this one on my radar for some time this year,and will also be walking as do not have a bike,looks like a fine wee hill.
You are fairly racking up your munro count this weather,need to watch my back :lol: :lol:

Thanks GLW!

You're the very man to help me....with my renewed interest in hillwalking quite evident to the rest of the family, my daughter (21) has asked if she can come with me next time. She's quite fit but I don't want to take on anything too big but at the same time don't want to climb one I've done before. So I was thinking of Beinn a Chleibh??? Any thoughts?
pollyh33
Walker

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland