walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein an Fhidhleir - A Dreich Day

Binnein an Fhidhleir - A Dreich Day

Postby Rossco » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Creagach (Binnein an Fhidhleir)

Corbetts included on this walk: Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Date walked: 18/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 833m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd seen this awesome looking ridge alot recently in the background of some of the other walks I'd done in the area and thought it looked worth a punt! Not many reports on here for it so worried it might not have been worth the effort but turns out it was, even if we could hardly see anything with the mist!!

My pal Pete came along this time, his first hillwalk so I chose this thinking it was going to be a fairly easy wee day. I was wrong!

Arrived at Butterbridge car park quite late in the day, threw our gear on and we were on the hill for 12pm. Someone had camped right next to the bridge much to our amusement considering it's right next to the road. I'm sure they would have got a fright during the night when the odd car came flying by! :lol:

Quite a simple enough walk anyway, follow the instructions on this website easy but it's straightforward anyway. Through the gate, aim for the gully high up, turn left, keep walking until you reach the trig point!

When you go through the gate you basically just go straight up the hill along the right side of the fence. It was very thick with grass and fern and we quickly found out how boggy it was. I stuck my foot into the ground about half way up my shin within 10 minutes! So we tread carefully after that. Take it easy on this first part as it's actually steeper and harder than it looks and we were done in quite quickly and had to slow the pace down.
IMG_1504.jpg
Puggled already!!

You cross over a high style soon after and then it seems like you have a choice. It looked like there was an easy less steep path straight to the left along the fence but we just headed straight for the gully taking on anything it could throw at us. Which turned out to be the weather!!
IMG_1509.jpg
Head for the gully!

Time for lunch after a couple of hours and we found an awesome big rock to hide behind the wind from.
IMG_1519.jpg
Shelter!

We then tackled the gully which was pretty steep as we thought, and boggy the whole way up. I never though any hill would be so grassy and boggy still so high up but this was. Lots of rocks scattered about but I don't think you ever had to scramble across any. We considered cutting up left and missing the grassy gully out but it looked dangerous and didn't want to risk it in the rain and with the mist fast coming in on us. So we just stopped for some posing near the top instead!
IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

As soon as you get to the top you're treated to quite a far view of the hills behind. Don't really know what was there as the mist covered alot of it. Turn left and we were treated to this (lack of) view of the first summit.
IMG_1535.jpg
No view.

Hit the top quite easily though although the cairn was so small we didn't think it was the true summit. Was expecting a trig point there seeing as Stob Coire Creagach is the highest point. Chucked a stone on there for good measure anyway!
IMG_1539.jpg
Pure joy!

The next hour or so was pretty messy. The rain was heavy, the mist was thick and we didn't realise it would take so long to get to the next summit of actual Binnein an Fhidhleir. There was a 2nd summit before that though which we somehow missed due to the mist! :lol: After a long slog, and safely creeping past some angry looking sheep we eventually reached the trig point and the clouds cleared just long enough for us to appreciate the view all around. And also some more posing!
IMG_1563.jpg
Whats that over there!?

Again, the way back was messy messy. The mist came back with a vengeance and my GPS wasn't updating in real time on the back side of the hill for some reason so every 10 minutes we'd realise we were off course and had to turn to correct it as you'll see on the GPS tracking below! For a descent, we seemed to do a hell of a lot of ascending which wasn't good for our motivation.
IMG_1551.jpg
Wait up!!

Made it back to the gully and thought it looked a bit treacherous to go back down and it was a bit dodgy at times with the wet rock and grass. The sticks were out to help the old knees!
IMG_1559.jpg
Low cloud

Managed to spot all sorts of wildlife on the way down too. The rain brought out loads of slugs and frogs. A baby dear was spotted on the flattish section running about and also some sheep that looked frozen in stone!
IMG_1555.jpg

All in all, an awesome day out. Clocked in at 6 hours which is probably longer than normal but we really took our time and stopped quite alot. Never spotted a soul the whole day though so I reckon it's quite an underclimbed hill. I say go for it. Quite steep in places, but no rocky scrambles, watch out for the major boggy sections. Also, we spotted a few gaping holes a foot or two wide that could cause some damage in the snow maybe if you don't notice it!

Just a shame the weather was terrible. I fancy it again on the clear, dry day, so I can actually see where I'm going!

Binnein-an-Fhidhleir.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Re: Binnein an Fhidhleir - A Dreich Day

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 pm

"Puggled" - there's a great Scots word I've not seen in writing for a long time! :lol: Nice report and job done Rossco. Is yer pal still on speaking terms though? :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby MaznGaz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 am

Rossco.... great report..... but I hope you were puggled tired and not puggled drunk!!!! :lol:
Got to say, loved your photos....especially IMG_1534.jpg , fantastic.
Looking forward to reading your next report.
MaznGaz
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Rossco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 am

Graeme Dewar wrote:"Puggled" - there's a great Scots word I've not seen in writing for a long time! :lol: Nice report and job done Rossco. Is yer pal still on speaking terms though? :shock:

Haha, think I scared him off as he never came out on the hills this weekend! :lol:
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 am

Great report Rossco- despite the weather!

I always think its weird when you climb a hill and you can only see two feet in front of you and then you look at other people photos from a clear day and its like a totally different hill!!!! :( :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland