walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thunderstorms make life exciting?

Thunderstorms make life exciting?

Postby Oldman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 03/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out to do An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin with my daughter yesterday 2/7/09. We had made note of the weather forecast which mentioned the chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon by which time we hoped to be well on our way down. It was very warm and humid and as a retired weather man I was keeping a close eye on the sky for any signs of Cumulonimbus cloud. We got to the top of An Caisteal about midday at which time the sky was looking a bit threatening so we planned a possible retreat. To return back along the ridge to Sron Gharbh would keep us on high ground too long in the event of an early storm so we decided to continue down to Bealach Buidhe giving us the option of continuing our walk if the threat came to nothing or heading NNE down the glen to join up with the descent path from Beinn a'Chroin at 3900 2002 approximately. We knew the terrain would be fairly steep, pathless and difficult but would give us the advantage of losing height very quickly - very desirable with lightning about. We met several other walkers but all were determined to continue up Ben a'Chroin even when the thunder started. One chap even said that it made life more exciting - a bit foolhardy I thought. In the event the storm started just before we reached the bealach and so we retreated down the glen as planned. The storm was moving roughly South to North and as it overtook us it became violent with lightning strokes every few seconds with at least one very close to us even well away from the tops. We did the only thing possible - we found a hollow away from the stream, got rid of our metel objects and crouched down with feet together to minimise but not obviate the chance of a lightning strike. We observed Beinn a'Chroin and it's northern ridge being struck frequently and hoped all those folk up there would be OK. We remained where we were for a long time until the storm had passed then beat a hasty retreat back to the car before the next storm arrived. May I add a word of caution to all walkers. Most responsible folk will be aware of their own abilities and experience and will always be in control of their own situation however there is no amount of experience or ability or control which can guarantee your safety in a thunderstorm - get off the hill! It will still be there tomorrow - you want to be too!
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Thunderstorms make life exciting?

Postby sloosh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Oh! Cool! Did you get any photos?

(I do agree - the hill will always be there another day)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:45 am

I put out a post a while back saying I'd been struck in the mountains and about 1/3 of the people in my climbing club had too when we discussed it one weekend! Definitely being in the mountains hugely increases the risk of being struck! I can't believe those people were happy to risk their lives carrying on! Thanks for the advice about what to do for the best though :)
mountain coward

Postby MartinMeredith » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Thunderstorms will certainly drive me off the mountains. It's possible to adapt to or accommodate many other conditions depending on how much discomfort you're prepared to tolerate (except perhaps strong winds on exposed ridges), at least outside winter, but lightning is well outside my comfort zone. Thanks for the advice on minimising the risks.

I was attempting the "Creag Leacach 6" last month and changed the order of the Munros on the route several times to make the most of what was promising to be a bad weather day with the forecast giving a small possibility of thunderstorms somewhere in the S Cairngorms area. In the end it became the Glas Maol 3 (along with Cairn of Claise and Carn an Tuirc) chosen so I could stick to the W edge of the plateau and delay any decision to begin the long hop across to Tom Buidhe and Tolmount. On the way across to Carn an Tuirc I'd heard some thunder but thought maybe I was mistaken. On the summit of Carn an Tuirc I'd all but decided to head off across the plateau but more thunder made up my mind to come off the hills. In the end nothing much came of it. Not all days out are as amenable to peak-picking as this particular group.

The great thing about the weather+Munros combination is that every change of plans creates new opportunities, sometimes with routes that you might not have thought about, there being such a focus on a few "standard" routes. I climbed Creag Leacach on the way back home the following day in clear conditions, and looking at the map, it seems Tolmount and Tom Buidhe would make a great day along with Mayar and Driesh. Anyone tried this?
MartinMeredith

Munros:161   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 pm

The first time I climbed Tolmount and Tom Buidhe I tagged them onto Dreish and Mayar; a long way over spongy plateaux but perfectly possible. I remember enjoying the walk back via Jock's Road. Otherwise, Loch Callater provides much the finest route to Tolmount and Tom Buidhe, as described on the site.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Oldman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Sorry no photos - too busy keeping our heads low. The whole purpose of my report is to alert everyone as to how easy it is, even for an ex weatherman who knows how to read the signs, to get caught out. Also to pass on a few basic hints regarding how best to improve your chances when you are daft enough to get caught out. It's the first time it has happened to me - an exciting and interesting experience but one not to be repeated.
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby kinley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:22 pm

I've read advice that you should sit on your rucsack on flat, low-lying ground and wait it out.

Lightning probably ranks as the thing I'm most cautious of on the hills - the condition which will persuade me not to bother.

It's only a couple of years since a guy died on Ben Oss:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3702389.stm
kinley

Postby sloosh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm

MartinMeredith wrote: Tolmount and Tom Buidhe would make a great day along with Mayar and Driesh. Anyone tried this?

(A wee bit OT but I lumped those two in with Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn, doing the loop from Glendoll.)

*sigh about the photos although I had a suspicion when I asked that preserving life and limb was more important than spectacular pics. Pity too, as there's a huge rock in that valley you could've climbed to get a good vantage point. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:19 pm

I did Tolmount & Tom Buidhe from Jock's Road up from Glen Clova/Glen Doll this summer - very nice walk and an easy day. Firstly went over Crow Craigies the top. Probably just as nice from Callater though...
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:53 am

Oldman

Thamks for that helpfull advice, safety in the hills, and anywhere else is most important. Before reading your post i would have had no idea in dealing with a thunderstorm, thanks to your post i will be better prepared if the situation ever arises.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby AlyBalyBee » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

I thought this walking malarkey was supposed to be good for you? :) I certainly wouldn't have been happy to be in that situation, but good advice which will be remembered. Glad to hear you made it back in one piece!

aly
AlyBalyBee

Munros:50   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby John Burgess » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 pm

On the first point - thunderstorms - I remember reaching the summit of Luinne Bheinn many years ago just as a flash and bang occured. Now I'm not one of those crazy fell runners, you understand, but I was down off the peak at some rate of knots :lol: As with others here it's one of the few things I really don't like in the hills (midges and clegs are the others).

On the secondary point, Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. At the risk of giving away my local, quiet approach - Canness and Caenlochan Glens at the head of Glen Isla give an interesting approach to that whole area from the South.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 am

Glen Isla ~ now there's a lovely wee spot.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ALANREIDHILLS » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 am

My closest encounter with lightening on the hills was in July too (1969). It was on the mid section of the Mamore ridge. Heading west towards Na Gruagaichean we were suddenly overtaken and drenched by a shower. Within minutes the wet rocks were crackling and fizzing around us and the wet hair on the back of my head was standing on end.
As you can see, my hair never recovered :lol:
A steel framed rucksack on my back was a concern, so we slipped quickly down the north side into some shelter to await the storm's passing. It did move on quite quickly and we were able to continue our day, completely energised by the way! Not a comfortable feeling though. :shock:
ALANREIDHILLS
Wanderer

Munros:94   Corbetts:197
Fionas:90   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:14   Islands:63

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:21 am

ALANREIDHILLS wrote:we were able to continue our day, completely energised

That's a hell of a way to recharge your batteries ! :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland