walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suilven (Ledmore Junction -> Lochinver)

Suilven (Ledmore Junction -> Lochinver)

Postby Komakawan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 am

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 05/08/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 740m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

05/08/2009, 11 pm : took off with my friends Alex and Mark the little burgundy bus from Ullapool, dropped off at Ledmore Junction, in middle of nowhere, in center of beauty. Never heard of Munros, Grahams or so, just saw this great and a bit scary sandcastle named Suilven on the web, before our departure from France.
Our old dream of Highlands was already fully satisfied. Good august weather, a parade of tourists in motorhomes on A835.
Our plan was to go further in wild countryside. We dared to bath in Cam Loch, fearing a possible legendary monster. We entered deeper in wildness to Lochan Fada, dived in the bog out of the main path.
The scramble was relatively easy to the bealach of Suilven, after having dropped our rucksacks near of Loch a'Choire Dhuibh.
Great view there. Alex felt vertigo on the Bealach, and believed the further way was too risky for him and stopped, sitting between two rocks of the odd wall of the Bealach. Today, he still regrets not having followed us to the western summit.
This way is actually not risky at all (eastern summit seems more unreachable... say if i'm wrong for those who went there!).
The best feeling ever on Caisteal Liath : full panorama on sea, on Wester Ross, Canisp, Ben More Assynt, Cul Mor and the entire Ullapool's family. And the silence.
I found the descent pretty fun, doing little jumps. We heard the thunder as we found back our rucksacks. The sky seemed angry and violent. Rain fell furiously over us, we reached the Suileag Bothy at 6 pm, and were relieved to found it open and welcoming.
We made our stuff dry and had a good night, before reaching Lochinver's pubs on early noon the next day. Great walk ! Bus service exists between Ullapool and Lochinver, if you want to make this walk.
Excuse my english and enjoy this jewel !
Attachments
UK2009 076.jpg
On Ullapool's pier
UK2009 099.jpg
Along the road
UK2009 105.jpg
Into the wild
UK2009 113.jpg
Target on approach
UK2009 118.jpg
Boggy factor : XXX
UK2009 126.jpg
On the bealach
UK2009 136.jpg
Mark and me, just enjoying the view on Caisteal Liath
UK2009 140.jpg
just saw a dark shadow ... (see eastern summit)
UK2009 144.jpg
Storm is coming !
UK2009 146b.jpg
Alex as the son of William Wallace in front of Suileag Bothy next morning
UK2009 151.jpg
Suilven from Glencanisp Lodge

Suilven.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Komakawan
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Suilven (Ledmore Junction -> Lochinver)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Great way to do this hill... I might just copy it :lol: .

Komakawan wrote:Excuse my english and enjoy this jewel !

no problems with your English and I did enjoy :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Suilven (Ledmore Junction -> Lochinver)

Postby soulminer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Always fancied this walk, looked at the little brown sign-post on many occasions :) Will be up there again in the very near future, so I might take the dogs a nice little walk :lol:
Cheers
soulminer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland