walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

40th Birthday on Buachailles.

40th Birthday on Buachailles.

Postby mamoset » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/09/2008

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first walk post on here and as I haven't had the chance to walk Scotland recently (busy with the Wainwrights) I've chosen a walk myself and my hiking partner Simo did a couple of days before my 40th birthday. We decided to have a go at doing a number of Munros in Glencoe, starting with the two Buachaille ridges. Set off from home around 3am and arrived at a bright and sunny Glencoe at 9am.
Buachailles 08 019.jpg
THE picture of Stob Dearg.

After a quick breakfast, we set off from the parking spot near Altnafeadh. We quickly passed Lagangarbh and followed the path into Coire na Tulaich.
Buachailles 08 037.jpg
Coire na Tulaich.
Though this part of the walk was a bit wearisome, the views back out made it worthwhile.
Buachailles 08 046.jpg
View from Coire na Tulaich.

The bealach was reached in decent time, where we turned to head to the summit of Stob Dearg, a well rocked, but easy enough traverse.
Buachailles 08 056.jpg
Bidean nam Bian ridge from summit.

After a brief food stop, we headed along the back on ourselves to make our way to the next Munro, Stob na Broige. Though a little up and down along the way, we also took in the tops of Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim.
Buachailles 08 070.jpg
Across Stob Coire Altruim to Stob na Broige.

After topping Stob na Broige, we took the only feasable route, straight down to the Lairig Gartain and then straight up the side of Buachaille Etive Beag. Though cloud cover had began to come across, it was still warm, especially with that kind of ascent. A quick Snickers bar stop gave us renewed energy as we topped Stob Dubh.
Buachailles 08 104.jpg
Stob Dubh.

After this, it was a pretty easy traverse across Buachaille Etive Beag to take in our last Munro of the day, Stob Coire Raineach.
Buachailles 08 112.jpg
Stob Dearg from Stob Coire Raineach.

After this, we headed back on ourselves and down the steep slopes to Lairig Gartain, where, for me, the hardest part of the day was about to commence. The walk along the Gartain was awful, boggy and wet, with peaty hags. After the dryness of the tops, this was no fun. However, eventually we got back to the car, where we headed off to the SYHA place at Leacantuim to stay the night, but first a bite to eat and a few well earned pints in the Clachaig.
Last edited by mamoset on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: 40th Birthday on Buachailles.

Postby kevsbald » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:36 pm

And a cracking way to celebrate your 40th - love the shot of the Buachaille.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: 40th Birthday on Buachailles.

Postby kev_russ » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Some superb pics there :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland