walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Silver Walk past Castle Tioram

The Silver Walk past Castle Tioram

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:12 am

Route description: Castle Tioram and the Silver Walk circuit

Date walked: 02/01/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During my two-week June Munroing trip with Richard, we decided to have a day off and accompany my parents (who were staying at the holiday flat with us) on our yearly trip round Ardgour & Moidart - what we fondly call 'The Acharacle Cafe Trip' as there is a superb cafe at the small village of Acharacle on the way round. After filling our faces in said cafe, we always call at Castle Tioram - for those who've never been, it's a pretty and reasonably unvisited (compared to the likes of Eilean Donan) castle on a nice sandy peninsula of a sea loch. Certainly you never meet coaches down there!

I've always wanted to get up above Castle Tioram for my photos as I've seen Michael MacGregor's calendar shots are obviously taken from up there. I didn't know of any paths in the area but my father said there was an old fisherman's route which goes to the next village. We went looking for it and found 'The Silver Walk'. I think it follows an old route (possibly the one my father meant) but has been 'done up' - you can follow the path midway up the cliffs
Tioram beach.jpg
and either up the hill above the castle or around to Ardmolich - a walk of about 3.5 miles. Richard and I decided on the latter - unfortunately the path was too rough for my mother who's had a hip replacement so she and Dad stayed behind and they agreed to pick us up at the other end.

We set off and, within 50 yards and about 2 photos, I ran out of film! I ran back to the car and changed my film quick and we started again... The cliff part of the walk is extremely scenic indeed and gives fantastic views of the castle from differing angles and foregrounds.
Tioram hiding.jpg
Tioram framed.jpg
Leading to Tioram.jpg
Silver Walk Flora.jpg
Sound of Tioram.jpg
Tioram Sound Peninsula.jpg
Island - Tioram Sound.jpg
After that, you continue at sealevel along the loch shore on a well-made path and then leave the loch to go inland through a miniature pretty glen.
Silver Walk glen.jpg
Very soon you descend out of this to the shore of another loch - at this point you've done about 2 miles.

This loch shore isn't anything like as pretty as the other loch so we started to find the walk less interesting. We did however bump into a large group of Canadian teenagers waiting on a rock for the rest of their group. In complete contrast to our teenage 'yoofs' they were very pleasant and chatty - made a lovely change from the usual abuse and sniping you get generally from kids their age here, but then you usually only encounter them in the towns! We continued the walk and bumped into the two adults that the kids were obviously waiting for - they were equally pleasant - him from Canada and she sounded like she was possibly a Londoner. They'd had a small adventure in that they'd followed the wrong path and ended up on top of a nearby hill of about 500 feet. The path only went up and back the same way so the whole group had descended a very rough, craggy, overgrown, steep pathless side of the mountain to get back to The Silver Walk they had originally intended - apparently the teens found it very exciting but the adults weren't so sure (I wouldn't have been either!).

Very soon after this you're into the forest for about the last mile, at which point the walk gets decidedly boring apart from one viewpoint from where you look right along a sea loch to the Isle of Eigg.
Silver Walk forest view.jpg

The walk is a great little saunter for a day-off but it's probably better to go up the hill after the cliff walk and back over the top to Castle Tioram - we're going to do it that way next time.
Attachments
Tioram beach.jpg
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: The Silver Walk past Castle Tioram

Postby kinley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:45 am

Excellent!

We did most of this walk on 10th June.

It's a great relaxing walk.

Saw an otter too
Last edited by kinley on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinley

Postby Alan S » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:45 am

some nice pictures there mc
seems like a really nice area, i must get up there some time
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Nice pictures MC havent been there for 20 years looking forward to going back soon thanks :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby IainG » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:51 pm

That looks an incredibly nice walk. I've looked at the map for this, is the carpark at the end busy? Any good camp sites nearby?
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby GarryH » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Visited here many years ago but never knew of this walk,wish I had have done though.Thanks for reminding me
what a lovely place it is mc.Love the Sound of Tioram photo.
GarryH

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Hmmm - don't know of any camping in the area but then I've never looked. The carpark is never busy when we're there but that's always in the week - not sure over the weekend. It isn't the most visited castle though and is on a quiet road really, away from the honeypots. The biggest drawback from visiting on a weekend I would think is the narrow road down to it with quite a few blind bends with awkward walls at the start. I actually bumped the Sunny's bumper on one of the walled bends when I had to back up - the only time I've ever bumped the car in the many years I've had it - wasn't serious as I was going back really slowly. I would think there's room for about 50-60 cars in the carpark though...
mountain coward

Postby robertian » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:02 pm

Just came accross this post while browsing. Some lovely photos of a very picturesque part of the country.
Its a great shame that there's suh controversy over the renovating of the castle , wouldnt it be a lovely place to live.

Enjoying reading your reports.
cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:15 pm

I agree about the castle, I think it is simply jealousy that makes some people make a fuss about its renovation. I reckon if the owner wants to do it up then good luck to him, it's no business of anyone else's. I wonder how many of these objectors actually live in the area?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby robertian » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I personally think that the exterior of a building should be ''origonal'' and sympathetic with its surroundings. But the interior should surely be as the owner wishes, afterall ancient buildings were forever evolving down through the centuries.
However in the meantime the elements are taking their toll on a ''delicate'' building.
Maybe one day the owner and the planning autorities / objectors may be able to solve their differences and that this beautifully situated building may be saved for the next 5 centuries or so.
Cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 am

Looking at my various photos of the state of the thing, I think he's got his work cut out!!
mountain coward

Postby Michelle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

And it doesn't look much better from up close!

It's a wonderfully poetic ruin though, in a stunning locale. I try to wander around this area once a year, it's very peaceful- but I have seen that car park become busy on weekends in summer! There were a lot of folks camping in the grassy open area behind the car park last time I was there.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland