walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

13 & 14 Mayar & Driesh 20th August 2009

13 & 14 Mayar & Driesh 20th August 2009

Postby Tenbob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 20/08/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 878m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The last time I walked a Munro in company was on my first, Schiehallion, with my brother-in-law (Shez) and we decided to camp out the night before. Shez had mentioned to me that he fancied bagging another Munro and camping again so I suggested Mayar and Driesh which, after reading my trusty Munro book, had been my next planned destination.

The drive out to Glen Doll is ace and you really feel you are off the beaten track. We arrived around 7pm and immediately set up camp at a great spot surrounded by rock faces. Unfortunately someone had been here before and god knows what they had been burning but they left a hell of a mess.

04 Our atmospheric camp site.JPG

Had a great night, swilling beers round the camp fire listening to football on the radio and marvelling at the clear sky, uninterrupted by the orange city glow meaning we could see the milky way. Before you say it, this wasn't the effect of the beer! After a reasonable sleep we had a couple of cups of coffee and some breakfast bars then got the bags ready for our walk. The weather was absolutely perfect, though it wasn't to stay that way and we couldn't wait to get going, but of course we had our tents etc to pack up first.

08 What a perfect morning.JPG

From our camp site we headed out to the car park at the Glen Doll Information centre then followed the path out to the forest. Follow the signs for Corrie Fee and don't take the turn off for Old Jock's Road.

10 Information Centre at Glen Doll.JPG

11 We're on our way - rocky buttress of The Scorrie in background.JPG

Stick with the main path through the forest and eventually you come to the magnificent and majestic Corrie Fee. Shez and I were blown away by the sight of this huge amphitheatre, the pictures do not do it justice. You're just going to have to go there and see for yourself.

16 The magnificent Corrie Fee.JPG

17 Me & Shez at Corrie Fee.jpg

The path through Corrie Fee zigs and zags it's way up towards the waterfall and unfortunately the intial section was spoiled by some irritating black flying beasties with dangly legs. Thankfully the further into Corrie Fee that we got the less of these wee buggers we had to deal with.

19 Shez in front of the waterfall at Corrie Fee.JPG

20 Looking back at the path and river through Corrie Fee.JPG

22 Shez admiring the scenery at Corrie Fee.JPG

23 Looking down to Shez on the steep path in the Corrie Fee.JPG

24 Waterfall which feeds the one in the Corrie Fee.JPG

Follow the path all the way and past the little waterfall (photo above) and eventually the path peeters out and you head south over the easy grass slope up to the summit cairn of Mayar.

26 Me & Shez at summit cairn of Mayar.JPG

At this point we stopped for a cuppa and a couple of snacks while taking in the view out to the Cairngorms.

28 View out to Cairngorms mountain range from Mayar.JPG

From Mayar, we headed east to the Shank of Drumfollow then ascended the flanks of Little Driesh.

31 East ridge of Little Driesh from Shank of Drumfollow.JPG

32 Looking down to Shez on Driesh's eastern ridge.JPG

From here it's a simple stroll to Driesh's summit, the trig point within a stone enclosure. The weather had taken a short turn for the worse at this point so the enclosure came in handy. We took the obligatory 'top of the world' shots before setting off.

33 Me & Shez on Driesh's trig point.jpg

So, we walked back to the col below Little Driesh and onto a path which skirts the ridge to the west of the Burn of Kilbo where I seen the end of a rainbow. Another childhood myth was shattered when I found there to be no lepricauns and, even worse, no pot of gold. Oh well, we both had such a good day I couldn't care less. These Munro's are definitely on the 'will do again' list.

35 Rianbow on descent from Driesh.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland