walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane from inveruglas- cycle start

Ben Vane from inveruglas- cycle start

Postby Renate » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 24/06/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 892m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After my success of finding a dry route up meal ghoardaidh 2 days ago I thought I'd repeat my inspiration. But it was not to be. As the weather's been relatively dry there was little need to find a different route. My main suggestion is to go on further than where everyone turns off the track. Especially so you dont have to cross the burn.
I set off from inveruglas car park with my bike at 6.30 pm. Along the road first and then turned right to go up the loch sloy track. The gate barred my way and the kissing gate looked impossible for my bike. However, pulling the gate on the kissing gate, took it right open with easy access through. The cycle up felt hard work, despite tarmac all the way to the turn off, and I did wonder if it was worthwhile. I cycled across the bridge along the track, but gave up pretty soon and locked my bike to the fence, 3 km were done already.
7 pm and I started my walk.

Pretty straightforward going up. I met a lady coming down who said she was concerned about another group a but ahead of me who had a two year old with them. I said I'd make sure they were ok, and that I'd carried my kids up when they were wee ( I was still breast feeding taking them up Cruachan). What I felt was more of an issue is whether they had the right kit. A bivvy bag to be able to snuggle in with a kid and full sets of waterproofs. I eventually caught up with them near the summit. I wasn't convinced they had enough kit with them, but they seemed fit enough. I kept an eye on the weather till midnight. As there was no mobile reception on the ridge or on the summit (v unusual- I even get mobile reception on summits in Knoydart.
Anyway. Summit at 8.15. Summit cairn had an orienteering marker on it. Was that from the Lamm? My friends back home thought the Lamm was last week though.
summit Ben Vane 1.JPG
summit looking north west

summit ben vane 2.JPG
summit looking south west, A'Chrois in middle, Ben Lomond on left

Straightforward to come back down. Back at bike at 9.15. Then a glorious run down on the bike, which definitely made the cycle up worthwhile. Back at the car by 9.

The rocks on the ridge have the odd gaping hole in. I understand it's the way these rocks cooled around all of the Arrichar alps. Ben Donich in particular. A number if years ago someone walked from the summit of A 'Chroish straight to Arrochar, but never arrived. He fell down a cleft in the forestry that wasn't visible. Just a word of warning about straying from the paths.
Renate
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland