walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

15 Ben Wyvis 29th August 2009

15 Ben Wyvis 29th August 2009

Postby Tenbob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 29/08/2009

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 966m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst up in the Highland's visiting my sister I thought I would take the opportunity to take in one of the northern Munro's. I decided on Ben Wyvis (Glas Leathad Mor), it's translation means Big Grey-green hill but I think Big Misty Wet hill would be more apt.

I parked up off the A835, not far from the bridge over the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir. The information board here tells me "A great view awaits you"! Oh really, I'll take your word for it as the mist spoiled any great view to be had. The weather wasn't too bad to start with but it was a different story on the ridge. Anyway, I've got my waterproofs on so I struck a pose and set off.

03 Ready for the off.JPG

04 The info panel.JPG

The walk takes you alongside the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir through Garbat Forest and not long after leaving the forest you take a left and head for the southwest ridge of An Cabar. The path up An Cabar has been upgraded and the bouldered staircase helps on the ascent but destroyed my knee's on the descent. Further up there's more dirt and I spotted a Ptarmigan on the way.

13 Ptarmigan on the track.JPG

Nearing the top I took a photo of the way I came. Looking down to the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir and on the right hand side you can see Garbat Forest.

15 Looking down to the Allt a'Bhealaich Mhoir from An Cabar's ascent.JPG

Once I reached the summit of An Cabar, passing two cairns on the way, I had in front of me what should have been a straightforward 2km walk over grass to Glas Leathad Mor's summit. Unfortunately, once I reached the ridge the weather turned nasty. The wind turned extreme and it was a hard push through these 2km's to the summit cairn.

18 Ben Wyvis trig point.JPG

Thankfully the wind died down a bit when I reached the trig point and I bunkered down into the stone enclosure and had a spot of lunch before 3 other poor, drenched souls turned up.

A circuit can be made from the summit by heading out northeast, dropping to a col and then climbing Tom a' Choinnich. From there you walk down its southwest ridge to the Allt a' Garbh Bhaid following it through the trees to a forestry track which leads you back to the initial path. However, as the weather was so bad I decided it would be safer for me just to head back the way I came.

As has happened to me before (Ben Lomond, in particular), the weather turns perfect just as I am nearing the end! I turned round to get this beautiful shot of An Cabar and the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir on the way back.

22 An Cabar and the Allt a'Bhealaich Mhoir.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 15 Ben Wyvis 29th August 2009

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Good stuff. Did this the month before you as my first Munro. Done it again later and made a circuit out of it as you mention is possible (although going back through the forest is a bit of a chore). At some point I'll complete the trilogy and go and up do all the tops. I look at Wyvis from Inverness every day - wishing I was on it, instead of walking to the office.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Tenbob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I used to work in an office and know exactly how you feel. Some point in the future I will probably do Wyvis again but in better weather!
Tenbob

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Smashing report TB,

The path looks pretty good. Is it like that all the way to the top?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Tenbob » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah, the paths are really good (from what my feeble brain can remember - it was almost two years ago and have just got round to the report now :lol: ). As stated in the report there's a man made, bouldered staircase a lot of the way up An Cabar, and the rest is like the photo of the track with the Ptarmigan. The ridge from An Cabar to Glas Leathad Mor is grassy but can't remember of there was a distinct path all the way to the summit.
Tenbob

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland