walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Aigan & Knock More, capped with a Findhorn beach sunset

Ben Aigan & Knock More, capped with a Findhorn beach sunset

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 am

Route description: Ben Aigan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Aigan

Date walked: 25/06/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 370m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 25/06/2011
Title - Ben Aigan & Knock More
Route - From Cycle Trails car park up track to Knock More then Ben Again. Didn't take firebreak shortcut. Return same way.
Weather - Dry with slowly clearing cloud. Light breeze
People - Me
Time - 3h
Distance - 12.9km
Ascent - 370m
Max Altitude - 471m

Ben Aigan & Knockmore 25-06-11 (Route GPX).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was in the area yesterday with a few hours to kill so went for a wander up Ben Aigan. It's a popular venue with mountain bikers and there's several constructed trails on the hill. Nobody around today though- just 1 biker passed me all day. I was hoping it would be a clearer day than this so I'd get better summit views- it was forecast to clear later in the day- but (as I heard on telly and seen for myself later) the sky didn't clear up 'til much later than forecast. Stayed dry though and a welcome breeze kept the bugs at bay- although they did come out and chase me during the descent (when the sun made an appearance and breeze died).

The route is straight forward- just stick to the main track from the car park. Many people bypass Knock More and head straight to Ben Aigan by way of a shortcut through a firebreak at NJ323489. I wasn't in a huge rush (and not too excited about bashing up a soggy firebreak) so went the longer way, sticking to the track, up to Knock More before heading over to Ben Aigan. Returned the same way.

Knock More (left) & Ben Aigan (right). Viewed from near Rothes

MTB trails

Track

The mast on Knock More comes into view

Entrance to firebreak shortcut on your left

I stuck to the track and headed for Knock More. Spotted a deer in the distance

Looking NE to distillery warehouses

Approaching Knock More summit mast. Full bars on the phone signal here!

Satellite dishes

Looking across to Ben Aigan from Knock More (took about 40 mins summit to summit)

Approaching Ben Aigan summit. Track weaves around to the side a bit before going up. Possible to bash a direct line through the short heather if you like.

Summit trig point

Looking back across to Knock More

Rothes

South

Ben Rinnes

I could see the sky was trying (not too hard!) to clear so hung around for a little while. Sitting next to the trig I spotted a tin stashed in the rocks- it's full of notes (soaked with water!) from people who have visited the hill

Getting a bit chilly on the summit so started making my way down- took a different path S off the summit to join a track heading NE that soon enough meets the track I ascended on. Looking back, the sky was clearing....a little bit....

I followed the track back up to Knock More

Looking back to Ben Aigan, the blue hole in the sky had closed again

Followed the track back to the car park- about half an hour from the mast

A good wee jaunt- one of the better wee forest covered hills around here with great views- that are much better on a clear day.
=========================

Went down to Findhorn Beach later on at night- had a wander around the sand dunes and the beach for sunset

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Ben Aigan & Knock More, capped with a Findhorn beach sunset

Postby ndhudson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Now that's a sunset :clap: !!!!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby anasta » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 pm

This looks like a nice wee walk, I love the tin with the notes! That's such a nice thing to find :D

That sunset is also amazing 8)
anasta
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby AndrewP » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Ooh! We remember the beach at Findhorn.
If you look far enough you'll see the Orkneys and Shetlands? (Well, no, Wick's in the way, but you get my drift).
Even put our feet in the North Sea... it was cold.

And for some reason I think of Macbeth...
Cawdor?
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland