walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Innerdownie Circular

Innerdownie Circular

Postby Dunfie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie

Date walked: 25/06/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a quick look at the MWIS on Friday and the forecast for yesterday was for relatively low cloud level so we stayed closer to home with a trip to Dollar rather than trying to get too high. This gave us the chance to go up one of the two Donalds in the Ochills that we had not been up. Cameron wasn't feeling at his best but when given the choice of going to the Dunfermline Gala with his sister or coming on a walk with me it was clear that I was going to have a walking buddy for a few hours. :lol:

The route selected was out of the Cicerone Guide and started at the top carpark at Castle Campbell, head straight up Saddle Hill, follow the saddle up to Whitewisp and then head east to Innerdownie. The route was then to run down to Glendevon before returning along Glenquey. However we cut the walk short after Innerdownie and dropped straight down to the west end of Glenquey Reservoir which cut a couple of miles off of the walk but took us through waist level grass which totally soaked us (I wouldn't advise going this way as the area is being regenerated with old broadleaf trees and the going underfoot is very uneven).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The best bit about the tramp up Saddle Hill is the views back down to Castle Campbell and Dollar. The hill itself is not high but there is no clear path up and the grass was very deep so after the heavy overnight rain is was damp underfoot and we managed to get quite wet up to our thighs.

Looking back down to Castle Campbell

Up to Saddle Hill

We reached the rather disappointing cairn on Saddle Hill and found a path north that took us up to Whitewisp. The cloud had really closed in at this point.

Whitewisp

There are two paths from here. The NW path takes you to Tarmangie but we followed the NE path towards Innerdownie. Following the NE path you soon come to a deer fence with large ladder to take you over. After this its simple a case of keeping the deer fence and then a dyke to your left and this will lead up to the cairn at Innerdownie.

Path up to Innerdownie

Old ruined shelter at Innerdownie

The sun broke through for a few minutes at the Cairn and we managed to get some brief views of Glen Sherup and Glen Eagles.

Innerdownie Cairn

Glen Eagles from Innerdownie

Unfortunately at this point I realised that my phone was almost out of power and I wanted to preserve what we had just incase so that meant I couldn't take anymore photos (shame as some of the best scenery was stil to come).

We dropped straight down from Innerdownie to the west side of Glenquey (managing to catch a landrover track near the bottom). This was probably the most unpleasant part of the day as the grass was at waist height and heavy with the earlier rain so we got drenched. This left us with the squelchy march back to the car.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:8
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland