walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane (Loch Lomond) Ambers 3rd Munro

Ben Vane (Loch Lomond) Ambers 3rd Munro

Postby Jabber » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 25/06/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 915m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi decided to try this walk quite late on Saturday afternoon as the weather report was more favourable for a cloud free peak about 6-7pm...hey ho we were wrong..never mind eh

Started out from the Inverglas Visitor Centre at the back of 3 pm and moved up the track towards Vane quite quickly.
The walk up the track from Inverglas.JPG

We arrived at the bridge in good time having passed a group heading up Vorlich (twice in fact so I don't know where they had managed to end up although they seemed well kitted out with maps etc). This is where the fun started as the whole area was dampish but very warm which meant midge and oh boy were they out!

The first 5-600 ft was very soggy and peaty under foot with a lot of tracks heading left and right of the track where it was obvious folk were avoiding a soggy peaty bath. This drove my two girls almost insane at one point with feet disappearing into the mire along with the midge assault however we eventually poked through onto a decent path to follow up.
OMG this boggy.JPG

The rest of the walk up was pretty uneventful really, apart from a physco sheep that decided to leg it towards us until it realised the westie was with us, we were passed by a couple of fellows who had taken the wrong path and ended up heading towards Ben Ime...Opps

There was a nice little bit of scrambling closer to the peak and the views were Ok until we eventually disappeared into the pea soup at the summit.
Ar chrois Lomond behind.JPG
Track up 1.jpg
My bridge.JPG

The peak was obscured unfortunately although it wasn't particularly cold visibility was down to about 2-3 metres at best and my glasses quite happily fogged up.
What no trig fogged up glacials.JPG

The trip back down was quite uneventful and was better than the ascent too be honest as the wind had picked up slightly and dispersed the Midge.

This was Ambers third Munro and she enjoyed the day/dusk walk. My good lady wife found this a hard walk and probably worse than the Inverglas route up Vorlich a fortnight earlier and won't be going back to Vane anytime soon. Amber on the other hand can't wait ..mind she wants to skip the other 279 and move straight to Nevis.
Route up 1.jpg
Track off 1.jpg
Still fabulous views.JPG

The girls only have one more of the Alps to visit, think I'm going to try Ben Ime via Beinn Luibhean from the A83 however I think we are going to wait for a clear day as I think the whole experience of the Arrochar Alps is under threat from the rubbish weather we have had since April.
Attachments
You know it baby 1.jpg
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Ben Vane (Loch Lomond) Ambers 3rd Munro

Postby Rossco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey Jabber,

I passed you on the road on your way up not long before you would have crossed the bridge!

Certainly didn't think you were going for the summit of Vane at that time. :lol: Pity it was still as cloudy up there as when I was up earlier but you seemed to have got better views throughout the day than I did.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jabber » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Ross
Yeah set off later in the hope that the peak might of come out the clouds..no such luck :( Wasn't expecting the path to have deteriorated so much in the two months since the last time I was up, shame it seems to be suffering on the weight of folk ascending/descending and the soggy conditions we are being subjected too just now. Best of luck with your next peak. Think I 'm off up Cruach Ardrain this Friday if the weather holds... I'm a bit fed up doing them in the mist now
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm

The pictures are bringing back memories, very nice!
Paula Hubens

Postby Rossco » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Same here, I'm taking this weekend off unless the weather is amazing and I am gauranteed good views as it's not the same when you can't even see the hill your climbing ahead of you. :lol:
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland