walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Y Garn there? Cwm here instead...

Y Garn there? Cwm here instead...

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 26/06/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 7.16 km

Ascent: 664m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There are reasons why I usually chose to start off early for a walk. These include getting a parking space, clear roads, cooler weather and more time on the hill as it takes me a considerable amount of time to puff my way up the inclines.
This Sunday however, the lure of bed and a more relaxed start meant I arranged to meet up with my friend Lucja at 9.30am at Idwal Cottage.
So far so good. But I was late leaving home, had to get screen wash and when I got to Llangollen there was a diversion, A5 closed! At the beginning of the diversion all was beautifully sign posted and then I lost it. Two attempts to get to the A5 along ludicrously narrow country lanes were foiled and I had to turn back, road still closed. Eventually I found the diversion which took us over Horseshoe pass, a stunning valley but I was too wound up to appreciate it. 9.45am I'm finally back on the A5, which has now filled up with Sunday drivers.
Gritting my teeth & swearing I finally get to the car park. No sign of Lucja, no signal. So I take a slow drive up and down the A5 peering in all the parked cars, I'm surprised I didn't get stopped for kerb crawling! Finally, back at Idwal Cottage car park at 10.45am for the third time, I see Lucja sitting on the wall by the entrance. Hoorah! Another lesson learnt; find out what car your walking buddy drives, I'd peered at it twice without realising!
11.15am, car abandoned on pavement we finally set off. Lulled into a false sense of security by the neat, flat path to Llyn Idwal, I start thinking maybe this won't be too boring for super fit, marathon running Lucja. And then it all got steep, followed by very steep! Thankfully Lucja, who'd been for a wee jaunt up part of Pen yr Ole Wen whilst waiting for me didn't seem to mind jabbering while I answered with grunts and gasps.
Many a break for photos, food and breathing later, we made it on to the last ridge up to Y Garn. The wind was up down in the valley and felt a little like a hair dryer on cool setting. By the time we got to the summit it was gusting heavily.
We found a sheltered spot for lunch with views for miles across the Ogwen Valley, Tryfan and the Carneddau, smugly satisfied not to be surrounded by the hordes on Snowdon.
Time to decide where to next. I was torn between bagging another Hewitt, Foel Goch or testing myself a little by descending down to Llyn Idwal via the Devils Kitchen. Curious to know what was being served up in the Devils Kitchen we decided to head that way.
If you don't like steps, don't go this way! A kilometre or so of steep steps, shallow steps, shale covered steps and bum slides later we called into the Devils Kitchen, a stunning waterfall set into a sheer wall of rock. On the menu? Fresh, sparkling mountain spring water, it was glorious!
From here we traversed down to Llyn Idwal and walked around the eastern shore to pick up the path back to Idwal Cottage. A thoroughly brilliant day out and if I want to get my thighs burning I guess I could reverse the walk up Devils Kitchen.
The journey home was a breeze and the A5 was not shut at Llangollen prompting me to think I may just have dreamt it!
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+003.JPG
Llyn Idwal
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+004.JPG
Llyn Idwal & The Devils Kitchen
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+006.JPG
Looking down to Llyn Ogwen & the Ogwen Valley
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+010.JPG
Pen yr Ole Wen & the Carneddau
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+011.JPG
The Carneddau & the sea
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+013.JPG
Mighty Tryfan with Llyn Ogwen & Llyn Idwal
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+017.JPG
At the summit of Y Garn enjoying the views and a spot of lunch.
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+018.JPG
Ok so this is the summit proper but it was way too windy for us to linger here, very happy Lucja and I feeling very satisfied after a steep climb.
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+021.JPG
Looking back at Y Garn from Llyn y Cwn before heading down to the Devils Kitchen
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+023.JPG
Steep, steep path down to Llyn Idwal via the Devils Kitchen, crampon scratches everywhere so it's easy to find the right way!
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+031.JPG
The Devils Kitchen - beautiful, foreboding and FUN!
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+033.JPG
Looking back at the giant armchair that is Y Garn, we walked up the right arm rest
Y+Garn%2CGlyders-26+Jun+038.JPG
One final look back from Idwal Cottage
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:7

Re: Y Garn there? Cwm here instead...

Postby Derek T » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 am

Great report!

If you enjoyed coming down Devil's Kitchen you should try puffing your way up it!

I went up that way last year heading for Y Garn and Elidr Fawr and it was a great day out.

I need to go back to that part of the country soon - a very rugged and beautiful place :wink:
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Y Garn there? Cwm here instead...

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Derek!
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I did actually go back the following weekend and do the walk in reverse! It was fantastic, especially scrambling up the dried up sections of the waterfall instead of sticking to the path - hehe! I do believe at one stage I was doing an unintended plank! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's certainly a thigh burner but great fun and the weather was even batter, stunning clear views for miles and miles :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland