walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Being Back from India and Creag Mhor

Being Back from India and Creag Mhor

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 28/06/2011

Time taken: 6.4 hours

Distance: 22.6 km

Ascent: 1410m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So; after two months in India; surviving motorbike trips with no helmet through the city at rush hour; eating curry after curry; working too many hours; and missing Scotland; I'm back :)

On Landing at Heathrow my good lady was all armed (after a kiss or two) with the July issue of Trail for me to see the report on Liathach; all good...

And after a weekend in the south my reward for my two months away is a week off; so time to get reacquainted with those things called munros...

I'd decided to take on Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich; as they are unsightly red spots on my little munro map; but I didn't get that far; the weather was gorgeous so I turned right at the Killin turn and headed for Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich.

DSCN0010.JPG
Moo; and Ben Challum

And what a tonic; sat by the river without a care in the world as sun streamed down the valley and flooded Ben Challum with a gorgeous morning light. The sound of the water was peaceful; and the landscape so green. I've missed the lush green of Scotland!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a7UL37ZahM[/youtube]

A new camera found its way into my luggage courtesy of the duty free shop; a pleasant two fingers to the tax man... So for the bargain price of £80 I have a Nikon S3100 if that means anything to you... To me, it means I don't need to lug the Canon equipment around when I'm just off for a quiet walk in the hills... When I'm doing photography it means sunrise or sunset; I never shoot in the day; fires on Liathach aside; so a welcome addition to the family...

So to the first ascent; after the 5 km or so along the river, a fairly steep affair up to the ridge of Creag Mhor; hmmm feeling the excess weight from the curries I think... All in all it hurt a little; but not too much...

DSCN0016.JPG
The hard work begins; the ascent from the river to the ridge of Creag Mhor

And soon I was atop munro number 105...

I also have another new piece of kit that needed testing; the North Face Elixir Jacket - from Webtogs, and Walk Highlands courtesy of being fortunate to win the walk report of the month for May with the Liathach report... I'll put in a plug for Webtogs; they were friendly; excited to talk about my report; and the service was second to none. I'm a fan; and I'll be using them again. And thanks to Walk Highlands also for an amazing piece of kit; the most breathable fabric they do I'm told; and I believe it; it was phenomenal. Love it :)

DSCN0030.JPG
The New North Face Elixir Jacket; and the summit of Creag Mhor :)

A fairly steep and horrible long descent follows before an almost equally steep ascent of Beinn Heasgarnich; but the pain never seems to last long; and the path made the ascent much easier than the long grass and craggy descent... Still; head down and get on with it; I will not stop till the top!! And after a very nice high level walk along the summit plateau for a kilometre or so number 106 was bagged :)

DSCN0035.JPG
Looking back at the steep descent from Creag Mhor; pick a route?

Another grassy descent takes you back to the track along the glen and you'll be back before you know it; a few deer disturbed on the way down; another gift I think; I love seeing deer in the wild; always have; always will...

My route...

2011 - 06 - 28 - Creag Mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

And the Stats...

IMAG1401.jpg
The Stats... A leisurely return to the hills... :)

And to top the perfect return home; a pint of 'Waylade' at the Lade Inn...

How I love Scotland... :)
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Being Back from India and Creag Mhor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Is it really 2 months since you went to India, where the hell did that time go :shock: Anyway, welcome home Andrew, looks like all those curries didn't do too much harm :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Good to see you back Andrew,and back out on the hills & posting another fine report,does not seam like 2 months since your last walk.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Rossco » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Nice one Andrew, I just came back from India 3 weeks ago too (having also somehow survived the crazy motorbike rides without helmets! :shock: ) and first thing I done was go up the hills next day too.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 am

Welcome back Andrew and glad to see you got your priorities right upon your return. My wife and I once spent 6 weeks travelling through India from Calcutta to Mumbai - you need serious therapy after that amount of time at the sharp end of the Indian transport system! :lol: Nice report and smart new looking threads - I too found Webtogs to be extremely helpful and effective when I used them. Nice find Paul! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby andrewdoggett » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome home all... :)

Graeme Dewar wrote:My wife and I once spent 6 weeks travelling through India from Calcutta to Mumbai - you need serious therapy after that amount of time at the sharp end of the Indian transport system!

Let the therapy begin :D

I've had a crack at a small video which I've added to the report from the new camera; never before has sitting by a river seemed so peaceful and relaxing :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland