walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Celebration Time

Celebration Time

Postby Oldman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 28/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My training walk on the Wee Boochle had stood me in good stead and I was raring to go on my BIG birthday - 21st June - mid-summer. The forecast was not good and one look out of the window at the low cloud and heavy rain brought on a great depression. Get the computer on - look at the UK Rainfall Radar - solid rain from top to bottom of the country. Look at the Met Observations - low cloud and bad visibility everywhere - nuts to it - I'll celebrate at home - I did and was only just fit enough on Friday 24th to head for the hills bright and early to have my proper celebration on a Munro top without booze. We had decided that Stob a' Coire Odhair and/or Stob Ghabhar would be the target(s) however given the time restrictions, due to more celebrations of a less sober type that evening, we decided to play it by ear. We set off from the car park at about 8AM with the cloud just kissing the higher tops but confident that it would lift to give splendid visibility.
Stob a Coire Odhair 001.jpg
A nice walk along the river and turn right at the green hut onto an easy path with one or two boggy bits but no problem, the weather improving as we walk. First decision time - do we cut straight up past the waterfall and do Stob Ghabhar or go straight on (and it is a straight path with only a slight gradient). Decided 'straight on'. So on we plodded with only the occasional stop to allay the tiredness brought on by the birthday excesses.
Easy this!!.jpg
6. An excuse to stop.JPG
Then we got to the ford and decision time again - straight on up the coire to the bealach or turn right up the steep zig-zag path direct to the top of Stob a' Coire Odhair. Decision made - and it's up the zig-zag - and it's steep.
Zig-Zag path we went up.jpg
This necessitated a few wee rests and of course the views started to really open up.
Another wee rest.jpg
Nice straight path.jpg
Ben Cruachan in distance.jpg
Finally the steepness of the Zig-zag path relents and is replaced by a less steep rocky section (not very long) which leads you directly to the summit where suddenly you are confronted by the vast bleakness of Rannoch Moor and a totally stunning panorama. Out came the binoculars and we spent the best part of an hour luxuriating in the granduer which only Scotland can provide - magnificent!
Be with you in a minute!.JPG
20. Mountain spotting.JPG
Rannoch Moor.jpg
Stitched_003.JPG
Stitched_004.JPG
Stob a Coire Odhair 029.jpg
Stob a Coire Odhair 039.jpg
Having stayed so long at the top we decided to go down to the bealach and use the path down through Coire Toaig as our homeward route. We will return next week and do Stob Ghabhar (probably straight up to the bealach and over the AE ridge then down by the waterfall). So it was down to the bealach taking in some mighty views as we went, on to the coire path and off home.
Stob a Coire Odhair 075.jpg
Stob a Coire Odhair 083.jpg
Stob a Coire Odhair 085.jpg
Stob a Coire Odhair 109.jpg
Cheerio just now Mr Waterfall, we'll get you next week!!
We got back to the car about 3PM - just 7 hours with an hour stop at the top - not too bad. More remarkable though - no cramp - I think I've got it beaten thanks to 'Nunns' tablets which you simply add to your drinking water. It tastes horrible but it's better than cramp so thanks to the bloke I met in Glen Coe on the 11 June who put me on to them. Yipee!! No more cramp! What a great birthday. Thank you daughter and all my family for giving me the freedom to roam the hills.

Good walking y'all and keep safe.

Oldman (Isuppose I qualify for that title now)
Attachments
Better go home now.jpg
Last edited by Oldman on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Celebration Time

Postby kinley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Oldman wrote:My training walk on the Wee Boochle had stood me in good stead and I was raring to go on my BIG birthday - 21st June - mid-summer.

Up a hill on your 40th?

Well done old man.

:lol: ;)
kinley

Postby Oldman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 am

kinley wrote:
Oldman wrote:My training walk on the Wee Boochle had stood me in good stead and I was raring to go on my BIG birthday - 21st June - mid-summer.

Up a hill on your 40th?

Well done old man.

:lol: ;)

Thanks Kinley, my mind tells me I'm less than 40 and my body puts me a little older than 40 - unfortunately my Birth Certificate (which I'm sure is lying) tells a totally different story.

Hic, another celebratory drink please!

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby Oldman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 am

I must have been slightly intoxicated or tired or something when I posted this report. How do I now get it onto the walk reports bit for Stob a' Coire Odhair/Stob Ghabhar where I meant it to go in the first place? How also do I get videos onto my posts? Ta in anticipation.

Oldman (Old Fool)
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

Top report - and free bus travel too? 8)

How do I now get it onto the walk reports bit for Stob a' Coire Odhair/Stob Ghabhar where I meant it to go in the first place?

You can edit your report, and then click on 'Choose walk highlands route', then pick 'Fort William' from the filters and choose the route. That will put both the Munros in too, so you could then click on add Munros and remove Stob Ghabhar. If it doesn't make sense let me know and I'll do it!

How also do I get videos onto my posts?

You have to upload them to Youtube first. Then copy the address of the page on youtube with your video; press the 'youtube' button when editing your report and paste the address into it.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:116   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Oldman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks Paul, I'll try it when I've finished the painting - the wife can always find something for me to do and this is the pay back after a brilliant birthday.

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Oldman wrote:I must have been slightly intoxicated or tired or something when I posted this report.

You wouldn't be the first Oldman! :lol: I enjoyed reading that. Hope I get to do this for my 21st as well! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:109
Grahams:66   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby monty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice report "not so Oldman" :lol: You got some lovely photos there. nice. :D
monty

Postby Oldman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Top report - and free bus travel too? 8)

How do I now get it onto the walk reports bit for Stob a' Coire Odhair/Stob Ghabhar where I meant it to go in the first place?

You can edit your report, and then click on 'Choose walk highlands route', then pick 'Fort William' from the filters and choose the route. That will put both the Munros in too, so you could then click on add Munros and remove Stob Ghabhar. If it doesn't make sense let me know and I'll do it!

How also do I get videos onto my posts?

You have to upload them to Youtube first. Then copy the address of the page on youtube with your video; press the 'youtube' button when editing your report and paste the address into it.

OK Paul, all done (so is the painting) and you can now watch live music recorded on the Wee Boochle in my report for them hills. Thanks again.

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland