walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi, after the nightshift

Ben Ledi, after the nightshift

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 30/06/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just back after a two week night shift stint, the body clock is all over the place, like jet lag without the holiday. So got up early and headed over to Callander with the plan of doing Ben Ledi from Strathyre and back via Stank Glen.Well that was the plan, set off about 0715, glorious morning, didn't realise the start from the car park is quite so intense, legs were burning and hadn't even had breakfast yet boo hoo. Really enjoyed the climb up and round the side, the views were something else. Hardly a cloud in the sky and I m saying to myself I ll get loads of piccies at the top.
Wrong, after a couple of cheeky wee false summits, just as I saw the memorial, I look to the west and here it comes, Scotlands answer to Area 51. If I can manage to upload the photos, you'll see what I mean, it was like a bleeding spaceship was gonna land on my sandwiches.
Spaceship coming into land.JPG

Wasn't hanging around to see how long it would last and wasn't too confident about heading over Stank Glen so retraced my steps back down.
Nearly time to bale out of here.JPG

and what do you know just got back around to the east side and the sun comes out again ah well c'est la vie. I ll just have to do this again sometime. Until my descent I had the place to myself which was great, but met few people on the way down, one guy out with his dogs and training for the WHW, he's going to wild camp or bothy it in three days, go for it mate, best of luck. So all in all apart from a bit of bad weather a really good walk, sorry didn't have the photos to back it up but the view was so clear, looking back to Stirling and across to Ben Vane( i think may even been as far as Ben Lomond) and rewarded myself for being a good boy with a pint and sandwich in the Lade Inn, very nice!
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Ledi, after the nightshift

Postby gagfax » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Did you look for the hidden bottle of whisky near the summit? 8)
gagfax

Re: Ben Ledi, after the nightshift

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Whit, Where What!!!! :(
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland