walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby David Lyall » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1100m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the forecast looking good all day, Gary and I set of at 7am from Dumbarton and arrived at the small car park just passed the small cottage Allt-na-reigh. At 8.40, we set of up the hill with alacrity taking the direct route up Am Bodach the path is easy to follow and although steep pretty easy going. Just over an hour after starting out we reached the top of Am Bodach and took our first break and enjoyed the view.
Aonach Eagach (107).jpg
me showing off,

We then headed west and found the first real decent from Am Bodach tricky until we had mastered going backwards facing the rock and looking down for foot steps. After this it was straight forward and we reach the top of Meall Dearg with any trouble.
Aonach Eagach (47).jpg
Me and Gary at the top of Meall Dearg, with Glen Coe below.

Aonach Eagach (20).jpg
Gary decends

After a photo call it was on to what looked like a very exciting scramble with lots of rocky chimneys and the well named crazy pinnacles.
Aonach Eagach (75).jpg
narrow section of rock

Aonach Eagach (97).jpg
Gary on an exposed rock

There were some awkward descents and some very narrow sections and the odd bit of steep accent, but it tends to merge into one long scramble, with a lot of fun and plenty photo opportunities on a nice day like we had. By the time we got to Stob Coire Leith it was lunch time which gave us time to enjoy the view of Glen Coe and surrounding area.
Aonach Eagach (4).jpg
me at the top of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh with Bidean nam Bian behind

Aonach Eagach (101).jpg
spot the people on the ridege, looking from the west back along, there are at least 6 walkers.

Onwards and downwards a straight forward path over to the last Munro summit of the day Sgorr nam Fiannaidh after a brief photo call we decided to follow a couple of walkers who descended on a path 20 or 30m west of the summit which headed in the direction of Loch Achtriochtan. No really a path for much of the time more a worn scree field not a pleasant decent to say the least. Once we got to the road we crossed over and headed back to the car, not quite as bad as I had expected back at 2.30 after a rewarding day.
Last edited by David Lyall on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:177   Corbetts:19
Grahams:3   

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Great stuff David! could it not have been a bit dangerous if the conditions were a bit wet??? :o
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Well done....now get them photos uploaded :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby David Lyall » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:39 pm

I would not like to do it if the rocks were wet, this is one to keep for a dry day i would say, I have now loaded some pictures, I have been caught out before, by loading it all at the same time and some bit of kit jams and i have to start again,
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Postby colgregg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Great report. If you were looking down to the roadside you around 11ish you would have seen me standing in a layby eating my pork pie!! I was on my way home from a grand few days in Ullapool.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:182
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 pm

great work. looks like you got a cracking day for it :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby baggervance » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 pm

First photo is cracking ~ where on the walk route was it taken. I'm also sure you have just put off thousands of people from attempting this walk :lol:

BV
baggervance
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:32
Grahams:5   Donalds:7

Postby Rossco » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 pm

But also attracted thousands more as that image looks astounding and I want to recreate that myself now!! :lol:
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Grahams:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ken reid » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 pm

looks like it was taken at the end of the cancelor but am not certin, great tr and pics by the way it was a bit clagie when I did it.
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:226   

Postby Vick1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Great stuff and love the "me showing off " pic
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Grahams:5   
Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:73   

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Aye, well done and great fun pics.........great stuff! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby NevJB » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:15 pm

David Lyall wrote:I would not like to do it if the rocks were wet, this is one to keep for a dry day i would say

Neill and I did this in the rain - most was not too bad - only where the foot/hand holds had become polished with use was it slippery. Worst bit was descending straight down to the road from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh - by the time we reached the grass and bracken, water was streaming down everywhere - that was slippery :( :( . I was so wet that in the end I sat down and glissaded. We finished in the dark - not our finest hour.

Neill_Meall-Dearg1.jpg
Neill looking bedraggled - just the start of the ridge!
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby David Lyall » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:34 pm

the oppertunity for the first picture was spotted by Gary, Im sure it was after the 'Crazy Pinnacles' , it was well on along the ridge. of course there was no need to be out there I just thought it would look good, and it was a really large ledge, as long as you don't look down it will be fine. :lol:
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Postby Rich't » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Colpy pair here again! That first photo-brown pant material for mountain goats!!
:?
Rich't
Mountain Walker

Munros:103   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland