walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Assynt. Day 1 - Fiddler and Ben More Coigach

The Assynt. Day 1 - Fiddler and Ben More Coigach

Postby colgregg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Route description: Ben Mór Coigach and Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Mór Coigach, Sgùrr an Fhidhleir

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1203m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first foray onto the mountains of the Scottish mainland. Having travelled up to the campsite in Ullapool on Tuesday we (My brother and I) were up for an early start and a long drive round to the small parking area near Culnacraig. The weather was looking decidedly poor as we headed up through the heather and into the mist to the minor summit of Beinn Nan Caorach. With nothing to see to keep us lingering we headed for the col and started the ascent of the Fiddler. At this point the mist became patchy and we started to get views of the Lochan below and the massive line of cliffs overlooking it We reached the summit shrouded in mist yet again so pressed on along the edge to ascend to the point where a ninety degree turn would take us onto Ben More Coigach. As the mist had lifted we decided to nip across to the small and narrow summit of Speicein Connich which was an excellent viewpoint for such little effort getting there. On our return it was time to head up the easy wide ridge to Ben More Coigach. Ahead of us lay the highlight of the day, the half mile narrow ridge with it's vast drops either side. This provided an entertaining half hour or so as we pressed on until it dropped sharply. At this point we were dramatically overlooking the sea and the Summer Isles over 2000ft below. This was a great finale to the day and we certainly did the round in the best direction as it would have been a shame to have followed the ridge in the morning mist. Having left the ridge we descended steeply to the open ground below before following a track back to the car. This was a great first day, day two it just got better and day three was one of those that was as near perfection as you can get. Watch this space.
This report, as with the others, will be short on names of the various lochs/ valleys and mountains seen in the views. Not being familiar with the area I can name a few major ones but nothing else. What I can say is that whenever there was a view the seascapes were spectacular as were the many mountains, lochans and valleys. Those familiar to the area will know what I saw, those who aren't I urge you to get the map out to study what is a truly amazing place.
046.JPG
Lochan Tuath

053.JPG
The Fiddler (centre) from the point wher you start to ascend Coigach

054.JPG
Speicein Coinnich has a superb narrow, airy summit.

063.JPG
Stac Polly (far left) and Suilven (far centre) are two of the most easily recognised mountains in Scotland.

066.JPG
The dramatic 1/2 mile ridge leading off Coigach and half an hour of fun ahead.

080.JPG
From the highest point on the ridge looking west, and the fun continues.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Assynt. Day 1 - Fiddler and Ben More Coigach

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for that. I spent quite a few holidays at Ardmair when I was younger and often wondered what the view was like from Ben More Coigach - now I know - and it's a good view.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 pm

Havent been up that way recemtly, so thanks for great report and fab pics :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am

pollyh33 wrote:Havent been up that way recemtly, so thanks for great report and fab pics :D

It was my first time up this way and hopefully not my last. The mountains are spectacular and the views are breathtaking.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 am

Good stuff CG, I reckon that's one of the most underrated hills in Scotland. 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:36 pm

It's an excellent trek keeping to the edge as you go from the Fiddler towards Speicein Connich with the option of the odd small scramble along the way.The ridge from Coigach ought to be a "must do" in anyones itinery.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 am

Lovely report - this hill is a little Assynt gem, one of many. Still have to climb it myself, I drove past it so many times it would be a sin to ignore it any longer :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Vick1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Excellent report and you beat me to doing mine from the same walk last month :lol:
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Missed you by a day, did my round on the Sunday.Did the same route ,but in reverse :lol: Magic 8) Reports to follow in due course.
soulminer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland