walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful Buachaille Etive Mor

Beautiful Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby nzt2011 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had planned to do Mor and Beag over Saturday and Sunday, however a late departure meant "having" to pitch the tent at Kingshouse and take refuge from the blaring sun with some Ice cold lager....
Up around 7am for nibbles and was at the car park for Mor at 0830 and off sharpish. Really enjoyed the prospect of what lay ahead, and it didn't disappoint. The climb up the coire was fine, hard going in parts, but no reall tricky parts...perhaps if it were in snow or wet conditions I'd be saying differently...but I took the hot sun and relatively no wind in my stride!
Made the summit of Stob Dearg in around an hour and a half and after a quick cuppa out the flask, headed onwards. The rest of the walk was great, the views were amazing and bumped into some really friendly people along the way. Definitely one I'd do again! The descent wasn't as kind as the weather however and after the West Highland Way 3 weeks ago, the old niggles came back. By far the hardest descent I've done so far, and my knees are "louping" today, as they say. Disappointed I couldn't do Beag in the same day but will be back another day. Perfection in one beautiful mountain!
02072011.jpg
Saturday night
100_0481.JPG
Cool sky going on there!
100_0485.JPG
Seen this a million times and still takes my breath away!
100_0498.JPG
What lies ahead
100_0500.JPG
Up the Coire we go
100_0503.JPG
Oh devil's staircase, how I remember you with such fondness with the full bhuna on my back!!!
100_0508.JPG
Rannoch Moor
100_0513.JPG
Time for a rest
100_0519.JPG
AE
100_0521.JPG
Looking back at Stob Dearg
100_0526.JPG
Big Ben
100_0529.JPG
Beag in the foreground, what could have been!
100_0531.JPG
Looking back over the whole Mor
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland