walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

====

====

Postby MG1976 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Date walked: 01/01/2000

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

====
Last edited by MG1976 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers & Meall Corranaich - 30/04/11

Postby craighall » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for a great report and annotated photos. You ' did a great time ', for one who hadn't been ' out on the hills ' for a while !

I was up Meall Corranaich a couple of weeks ago, with a walking group, so it was nice to see what the views would have been like.

Michael,

Edinburgh.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby Driftwood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 pm

I'll second the appreciation for the highlighted tops and paths. The tracks are very clear on that side of Ben Lawers, but the side-paths, such as to the north of Ben Ghlas and up MC don't stand out from a distance like the much-beaten route between the carpark and Ben Lawers.

I walked a version of this route in reverse (going to Meall Corranaich first, then along to Meall a Choire Leith before Ben Lawers and Ghlas) last month, though without your pace. Your times between the tops are impressive for being out of practice! Though it sounds like your boys will soon be keeping up with you :D
You also had some good views - there always seemed to be some cloud around whichever top I was at (except for Choire Leith, where the clouds were a couple of hundred feet higher up; it hardly feels like a Munro compared to its neighbours).

DSCF0488.JPG
An Stuc glimpsed

Nick
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby monty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Well done MG1976. Good to see you back on the hills. Thats a nice route in the sunshine but the wind did not sound very invinting. :D Nice route. :D
monty

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Nice report! I did this exact same combo yesterday (2nd Sept 2011) and was a bit worried how do-able Meall Corranaich would be from Ben Lawers, but it turned out to be fairly straighforward as you've described.
I'd say this is actually a good way of carving up the Lawers group into three circular walks: this combo from the NTS Visitor Centre car park; Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stuc from Lawers village (this one is described in the SMC "Munros" book but involves an "interesting" descent from An Stuc to Lochan nan Cat that could be ropey in poor visibility); and leaving Meall an Coire Leith to be climbed in a third outing with its Corbett pal Meall nam Maigheach from the roadside cairn a few miles north of the NTS Visitor Centre instead of the usual (duller?) combination with Meall Corranaich. I must confess that I haven't done that last one yet (Coire Leith plus Maigheach) but that's the plan, anyway. Thanks for a helpful report :D .
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby Tartangeordie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice report mate. Heading up this May and I think I'll use the route. We're doing 4 of the Crainlarich hills the day before so hopefully will have enough in the tank for this one.

Provided it has stopped snowing by then.... :?
Tartangeordie
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby 9queens » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:09 pm

I have to question your maths in the adding up of times
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland