walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Dubchraig & Ben Oss

Ben Dubchraig & Ben Oss

Postby Jabber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 04/07/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1029m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Didn't know if this was such a good idea after Fridays session up Cruach Ardrain, so I gave the Westie the day off today. I had originally planned in doing Ben Lui (and what a magnificent looking mountain she is) from Dalrigh however I changed my mind and went for Ben Dubchraig in an attempt to maybe walk my better half up there soon. The day turned into a bit of an epic after I made a wrong turn coming off Ben Dubchraig to go to Oss.

It started fine after I had got the kids fed and watered and got to the Dalrigh car park for 9-30. Met a nice Dutch couple who were doing the West Highland way...He was suffering mind under the midge assault.
Omg they look far away.JPG

Left the car and crossed the bridge over the Cononish, very nice too, this part of the west highland way was obviously part of the original road as the cats eyes were still there. Very soon I was off the track after it crossed the railway line and straight into a field that resembled the Somme and the black stuff entertainment began, however despite being very boggy it was nice to traverse through the native woodland of Coile Coire Chuilc
100_1317.JPG
I was glad I was covered in Avon skin so soft because the midge were out and on a mission. It wasn't long before I was out of the woods after the attempted assault by every insect known to man in there. The path up was pretty clear.
Nice Waterfall.JPG
I managed to make it to the ridge of Ben Dubchraig within about 2 hours and was staring out over Loch Lomond within 3 from leaving the car. Not bad I thought things are going well...4 Munros might well be on today. Met some really nice folk en route..a couple from England also attempting 4 after they had read the weather report for Monday. I also met a real nice chap from Stirling who like me was a mate-lot of old and a Falklands Veteran.
100_1340.JPG
Beinn Dubchraig Summit.
100_1342.JPG
View over to Ben&Loch Lomond
I bid my farewells to these folk and pushed on to Ben Oss,
Loch Oss.JPG
this is where my day went slightly wrong and when I descended from Dubchraig and Bealach Buidhe I carried on straight passed the tiny cairn( really should read the guide sometimes!) and right over on the stalkers path and oh boy did I just carry on....
I finally stopped and thought hey dude this is wrong and about turned and for the first time in the day the OS map was out. :?
On my way back round to look for the small cairn I bumped into the chap from Stirling, who promptly made the comment.."Cor you got up that bloomin quick"...Once I explained the error of our ways we both about turned (matelots I dunno...get lost in any port!). Found our way up through Coire Garbh eventually and reached a very grateful cairn at the top of Ben Oss.
Ben Oss Summit 3376ft.JPG
That was it then my decision was made that Ben Lui was going to have to wait for another day.
100_1356.JPG
Ben Lui...see you soon..
We then made our way back down the way we came once again, trying to pick up the original path to the forest was entertaining(Time to invest in a GPS I think...) and that with both of us being qualified MLTs with me on my way to my Alpine Mountain Leader quals with the Navy...Oh dear
100_1353.JPG
Ben Dubchraig from Ben Oss
100_1348.JPG
Ben Oss from Beinn Dubchraig
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Ben Dubchraig & Ben Oss

Postby Rossco » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:00 pm

So that's what Coile Coire Chuilc looks like!!! :lol: I missed a beauty of an area last week I think.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Nice report and pictures Jabber! I also have learned the hard way not to just follow paths but check the map and compass every now and then. With me it would usually happen on a nice clear day, sun out, enjoying myself, getting a nice pace going, admiring the views, not paying attention, and ending up somewhere unplanned! He ho, you live and learn.
Paula Hubens

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Great report!! I was out that way on Monday also.....and I'm also in Bonhill... we coulda car shared :lol: I was hoping to claim all 4, but unfortunately the legs werent letting me :x and i had to retreat after Lui, a'Chlieb and Oss, tho the descent off Oss was rather tricky. Good to see the route I now need to take to get to Dubhchraig in the bag. Enjoy Lui when you go back, its a stunner of a mountain, and a few nice wee exposed bits to get the heart pumping 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Jabber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:12 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Great report!! I was out that way on Monday also.....and I'm also in Bonhill... we coulda car shared :lol: I was hoping to claim all 4, but unfortunately the legs werent letting me :x and i had to retreat after Lui, a'Chlieb and Oss, tho the descent off Oss was rather tricky. Good to see the route I now need to take to get to Dubhchraig in the bag. Enjoy Lui when you go back, its a stunner of a mountain, and a few nice wee exposed bits to get the heart pumping 8)

Thanks for the kind comments. Yeah shame we could of shared a car on the way up..was toying with doing Lui from Dalrigh then coming back from it over Oss then Dubchraig however for reasons which still desert me I went for Dubchraig first. I don't think I'll be only visiting Lui just the once.. I'm all for doing it from every direction...strange I have the same fascination with the Cobbler lol. PM me next time out we'll see about the car sharing..
Jabber
Mountaineer

Postby Jabber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:Nice report and pictures Jabber! I also have learned the hard way not to just follow paths but check the map and compass every now and then. With me it would usually happen on a nice clear day, sun out, enjoying myself, getting a nice pace going, admiring the views, not paying attention, and ending up somewhere unplanned! He ho, you live and learn.

Thanks for the kind comments Paula, I have no doubts I will be taking wrong turns in the future....I spend most of my life with my head in the clouds :lol:
Jabber
Mountaineer

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Jabber wrote: Thanks for the kind comments Paula, I have no doubts I will be taking wrong turns in the future....I spend most of my life with my head in the clouds :lol:

That's the best place for the head anyway if you like munro bagging :D
Paula Hubens

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland