walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

by rockhopper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 2600m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Walking with Ben Starav and his neighbours in Glen Etive

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:26 pm

steven671 wrote:thank`s i appreciate that,think i will go up and camp wed night for an early start,supposed to be rain wed,dry thurs and fri
steven - had a look - there's water from the streams at either end but other than that I think there may have been some at the foot of the drop between Stob Coir an Albannaich and Meall Tarsuinn - don't really remember seeing any other water I'm afraid unless you drop down from some of the ridges

soulminer wrote:A great place hit the ton, well done that man :) I compleated on Starav so it is a special place for me- the photo with the steep drop to the left was corniced when I was there 2nd Jan,looked bad enough then :wtf:
Cheers
cheers soulminer - actually got to 97 on these 5, the 100 came the following day on Stob na Broige; I just took rather a long time writing them all up due to work pressures (need to learn to type faster) :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:37 pm

I remember filling my water bottles on the way round when i done the 5. I filled them on the slopes up Stob Coir an Albannaich. There are a few high level small burns on the approach slope.

Monty's report - There does not appear to be any path going up the opposite hillside heading in the direction of Stob Coir an Albannaich so its just a matter of heading North West for 130m up the steep slope to the ridgeline of Sron Nan Cabar. Once there its easy enough to pick a semi circular route around the coire and onto the summit. You don't want to go too deep into the coire because it is an undulating boggy area. I stop here and fill my other now empty bottle with fresh running water from under the ice on one of the burns.
:D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 pm

monty wrote:I remember filling my water bottles on the way round when i done the 5. I filled them on the slopes up Stob Coir an Albannaich. There are a few high level small burns on the approach slope.

Monty's report - There does not appear to be any path going up the opposite hillside heading in the direction of Stob Coir an Albannaich so its just a matter of heading North West for 130m up the steep slope to the ridgeline of Sron Nan Cabar. Once there its easy enough to pick a semi circular route around the coire and onto the summit. You don't want to go too deep into the coire because it is an undulating boggy area. I stop here and fill my other now empty bottle with fresh running water from under the ice on one of the burns.
thanks monty - I could only remember the boggy bits from my route but may be more running water further over
rockhopper

Postby steven671 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:52 pm

thank`s for taking the time check your pic`s,appreciated.steven/jet
rockhopper wrote:
steven671 wrote:thank`s i appreciate that,think i will go up and camp wed night for an early start,supposed to be rain wed,dry thurs and fri
steven - had a look - there's water from the streams at either end but other than that I think there may have been some at the foot of the drop between Stob Coir an Albannaich and Meall Tarsuinn - don't really remember seeing any other water I'm afraid unless you drop down from some of the ridges

soulminer wrote:A great place hit the ton, well done that man :) I compleated on Starav so it is a special place for me- the photo with the steep drop to the left was corniced when I was there 2nd Jan,looked bad enough then :wtf:
Cheers
cheers soulminer - actually got to 97 on these 5, the 100 came the following day on Stob na Broige; I just took rather a long time writing them all up due to work pressures (need to learn to type faster) :?
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby steven671 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:54 pm

thank` for that bit of water info Monty,appreciated.steven/jet
monty wrote:I remember filling my water bottles on the way round when i done the 5. I filled them on the slopes up Stob Coir an Albannaich. There are a few high level small burns on the approach slope.

steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Inspirational stuff!!! :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Bod wrote:Inspirational stuff!!! :D :D :lol:
cheers Bod - took me a fair length of time and found it hard going at times but ranks among my favourites so far and Glen Etive is such a great area :D
rockhopper

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Great report and some stunning views you had there. Can't think of a better way to spend the daylight hours. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:30 pm

cheers skuk - certainly a long day but great fun :D
rockhopper

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Enjoyable read and some lovely pictures, you got a good day for this round. I'm still unsure how i'll tackle this lot but the more reports you read on taking on the 5 in 1 day the more appealing it becomes :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Enjoyable read and some lovely pictures, you got a good day for this round. I'm still unsure how i'll tackle this lot but the more reports you read on taking on the 5 in 1 day the more appealing it becomes :D
cheers Johnny :D I initially looked at splitting them but I think WH has Ben Starav + GBM at 16km / 1,400m and it seemed to make sense to add BnA on as well - this takes you nearer the 20km / 2,000m mark which made it seem all the more justifiable to add on the other two. It's a long initial climb and a long walkout but well worth it in the end - hope you get good weather for it. :D
rockhopper

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland