walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corryhully Horseshoe with Streap sauce - Part 2

Corryhully Horseshoe with Streap sauce - Part 2

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr Thuilm

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was up at 6 after a very decent night's kip and quickly got a coffee on the brew followed by a Wayfarer all day breakfast. The coffee was one of the worst I've ever had outside of a hospital. Brewed with lochan water and as I'd forgotten my mug, supped out of the pan. Not good :( . I gave Kev a shout and set about dismantling the tent and getting packed up.

IMG_7138.JPG
Breakfast time

IMG_7141.JPG
Sgurr nan Coireachan across the campsite lochan

We were off by 7 o'clock and contouring around the shelf just below the summit of Sgurr nan Coireachan and onto the rocky, lochan and fencepost studded ridge which leads over the tops of Meall an Tarmachain and Beinn Gharbh as well as the unnamed 858m spot height before climbing up onto Sgurr Thuilm.

IMG_7143.JPG
Just having skirted around below Sgurr nan Coireachan

IMG_7147.JPG
Kev photographing Loch Arkaig and ridge to Sgurr Thuilm

IMG_7148.JPG
Sgurr nan Coireachan, Rum and Loch Morar

IMG_7155.JPG
Lucy taking a dip with Sgurr Thuilm behind

IMG_7156.JPG
North from the ridge towards Glen Dessarry

IMG_7158.JPG
Back to Sgurr nan Coireachan

We met a solo walker coming towards us just beyond Beinn Gharbh who had spent a night of luxury with the electricity supply down in Corryhully Bothy. It was still early in the day but already the heat was building up and it was a relief to reach the crags between the flat shoulder and the summit of Sgurr Thuilm, where we dumped our packs to travellight up onto the Munro summit.

Sgurr Thiulm is another brilliant viewpoint, maybe not quite as good as Sgurr nan Coireachan but there's not much in it to be fair.

IMG_7159.JPG
Streap from Sgurr Thuilm

IMG_7160.JPG
Sgurr nan Coireachan and Loch Morar from Sgurr Thuilm

IMG_7162.JPG
South from Sgurr Thuilm

Back down at the packs, we see another solo walker coming up towards us from the Druim Coire a' Bheithe ridge. It turned out to be ianaird from this site - bagging the two Munros before catching the ferry back to Skye from Mallaig later that afternoon.

IMG_7164.JPG
Descent off Sgurr Thuilm

The descent east-south east off Sgurr Thuilm turned out to be a killer, especially lower down, and looking back revealed the scale of what we had just downclimbed. But this was nothing in comparison to the ascent of Streap still to come. It looked brutal, even up the relative chink in the armour represented by the wide gulley-cum-coire on it's north face.

IMG_7165.JPG
Looking back up

IMG_7166.JPG
Streap looking formidable from the north west

As Kev has already alluded to in his report, if I'd suggested at the foot of Streap that we just head back out the glen to the car, he'd have been quite happy. The thought was running around in my head, but I contained it. Was I right to do so? Who knows! :?

IMG_7167.JPG
North along the Allt Cuirnean towards Fraoch Bheinn and Sgurr Mhurlagain

IMG_7169.JPG
Start of ascent of Streap

IMG_7171.JPG
Kev looking mightily puggled

IMG_7173.JPG
High above Gleann Cuirnean

I guess what matters is that we did it, and we made it, even if I did spend a good few minutes all out and flat on my back just below the summit. :wtf:

IMG_7174.JPG
Kev perched on the little arete just below the summit

IMG_7178.JPG
Summit of Streap looking along the ridge to Stob Coire nan Cearc and Loch Shiel

IMG_7179.JPG
Sgurr Thuilm from Streap

IMG_7180.JPG
The two Loch Arkaig Corbetts from Streap

I'd have preferred to go all the way along the ridge and descend down to the car off Beinn an Tuim, but by the time we were leaving the summit, I was aware that time was marching on and this would give us a lot of work still to do, the scale of it being not entirely clear from the summit. I had said that I would be home sometime "late afternoon" as we had friends coming to stay that night, and with the considerable drive down to my car at Tyndrum and then from there back to Bridge of Earn, my cards were probably going to be marked. So when Kev suggested that we use the "curious diagonal shelf" on the NW flank of the hill as mentioned in the SMC Corbett book, I quickly agreed. :lol:

IMG_7181.JPG
Descending the Streap ridge above Glen Finnan

IMG_7184.JPG
Back to the sharp fin-like summit of Streap

This was by no means a straightforward descent but it did get us back down onto the track a kilometre or so short of the stalker's path junction from last night. The road might have offered easy walking but it was playing havoc with my feet which felt like they were aflame by the time we walked under the viaduct, past the gathering crowd of trainspotters, and arrived back at Kev's car just after 3.30pm for the long drive home to face the music. Is 6.35pm late afternoon??? Not even open to interpretation??? :shock: :?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Re: Corryhully Horseshoe with Streap sauce - Part 2

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 pm

1835? I wis hame afore ye min!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:119
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Great effort guys.

Good to see you getting out regular now GD.

Seems you cannie get out on these hills without meeting a WH member :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:39 pm

kevsbald wrote:1835? I wis hame afore ye min!

Aye, but you've got a fancy new motor and my Astra's no what it used to be! :lol:

dooterbang wrote:Great effort guys.

Good to see you getting out regular now GD.

Seems you cannie get out on these hills without meeting a WH member :)

Cheers Doots. Aye, the hills are positively hoaching wif 'em. In fact, there was one of them followed me all the way round this circuit. Even camped out nearby too! :lol:
Graeme D

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Even nicer. :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Nice one Graeme - didn't have to wait long :D - you teachers with all that time on your hands :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Amazing brilliant 'Boy's Own' adventure story Graeme.

Loved the photos especially of Lucy doing a few lengths :D

Can I ask what Kev is up to in the 3rd pic ?? :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davetherave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 pm

joint at the hip like siamese twins are you two. Haha. Enjoyed your double barrel report. Graeme.

That may have been a good chance to increase your bothy tally if you reversed your route, going the same way as the lone walker that you met?.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Grahams:26   Donalds:5

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:46 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Can I ask what Kev is up to in the 3rd pic ??

You can ask Polly..... not sure I'd wish to speculate on that though! :lol:

davetherave wrote:That may have been a good chance to increase your bothy tally if you reversed your route, going the same way as the lone walker that you met?.

Aye, I'm overdue another bothy stay Dave! :( Really must do something about that soon.
Graeme D

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland