walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MCofS Navigation Course - Ochils

MCofS Navigation Course - Ochils

Postby Jockstar » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 18/06/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MCofS NAVIGATION COURSE – OCHILS ; SATURDAY - 18TH June 2011

I had booked this course during the winter as I knew that I could get about the hills during the summer but t wasn’t comfortable about walking in the winter but also was a aware that if the weather was bad or we had an accident I wasn’t totally confident of knowing where we were at any point of our walk. So myself and Su went to the Ochils Mountain Rescue Centre where Rosie and Heather were the leaders and instructors for the first part of the two day course which starting with classroom explanation and demonstration of using a map and compass. That only highlighted how much I didn’t know and how much I was doing wrong!! Also the other people in our group – Izzie, Jed, Tony, - were looking forward to an afternoon on the hills.
Before long we were of in the car to the Woodlands Walk car park at the foot of the Ochils and we set of through the forest skirting by Wood Hill and up to Little Nebit. This was great as my office Looks out onto Little Nebit and I had always wanted to climb it. Along the way we were given Instruction as to how to set the map and also to look for handrails to guide you along the correct route. It was all good and useful stuff and after a rest Heather decided that we would go up the ridge of Ben Ever, traversing right to the top of Ben Cleuch, (which would be another first for me and Su) and back down by The Law. All the time we took it in turns to lead and to demonstrate what we had
Learned in the classroom. After a good 4 hours out on the hills we made our way along down the path from The Law and enjoyed the wee scramble crossing the burn until we made our way along the top of the golf course and back to the car.
It was really enjoyable and thanks to Heather for all the help. And so to Sunday when we were toLearn all about GPS and how to use it on the hills.

SORRY - No photos as I have deleted them by mistake !!!!!
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: MCofS Navigation Course - Ochils

Postby donalmc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm

was in other group on the sunday gps course
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:85   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm definitely going to get myself on one of these courses. Luckily the walkers who I have been out with recently have brilliant at explaining navigation as we go along but I need a formal course to firm things up.

Pity about your photos :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:05 am

Always great to focus on skills, great stuff Jockstar! We'll get out and practice more soon...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland