walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two thirds of the North Fife Sub2K Marilyn circuit

Two thirds of the North Fife Sub2K Marilyn circuit

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnie Hill, Mount Hill

Date walked: 29/06/2011

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 310m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few free hours on a Wednesday afternoon so I decided to head the short distance through Abernethy and Newburgh and into Fife with my destination being the three Sub2K Marilyns of Cairnie Hill, Mount Hill and Norman's Law.

In the end I gave the latter hill a miss - it started to come down in rods as I was driving towards Luthrie and my wife also called and said she had a few errands she'd like me to do on my way home, so I baled.

Anyway, it was a nice wee walk-drive combination on what turned out to be a very pleasant summer afternoon.

First up - Cairnie Hill, rising to the east of Lindores Loch. I parked by the boathouse and pier towards the southern end of the loch on the B937 and walked a short distance back north before heading onto the track past some cottages just before reaching the estate gatehouse. Then it was a straightforward circuit looping around behind the hill before climbing up grassy slopes and then through heather and mixed woodland to the very undistinguished summit. From there I continued south a short distance before descending by the side of some plantations onto a track which led me back to the road, leaving a brisk yomp on tarmac back to the car.

IMG_7002.JPG
Start of the track by the estate gatehouse

IMG_7003.JPG
Pastoral Fife scene looking towards Norman's Law

IMG_7005.JPG
The locals

IMG_7008.JPG
Towards the summit

IMG_7010.JPG
Lindores Loch

IMG_7012.JPG
View to the next objective - Mount Hill

IMG_7014.JPG
View of the Lomonds from the summit. The rock appears to be the highest point.

IMG_7016.JPG
Summit from the south

IMG_7017.JPG
Start of descent alongside plantations

IMG_7020.JPG
Track back to the road

IMG_7021.JPG
Arty shot back at the lochside

Cairnie Hill - 4.3km, 180 metres of ascent, 1hr approx.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Then it was back into the car for the drive south on the B937 to Colessie, left onto the A91 to the roundabout, left again onto the A92 heading north and then onto the minor roads at Fernie to park up near the Mount farm. I actually parked a wee bit beyond the farm, in fact beyond the cottages further along the minor road, adding a good 10-15 minutes onto the walk.

Again, were it not for the monument atop this hill, it would be an extremely insignificant summit with trees doing a reasonable job of obscuring the views. Sat on the trig point next to the monument and quickly ate some lunch before descending by retracing my steps.

IMG_7022.JPG
Mount Hill from the parking spot

IMG_7023.JPG
Lomonds from the walk back along the minor road to start of the track

IMG_7024.JPG
Mount Hill across the fields

IMG_7026.JPG
Start of the farm track

IMG_7027.JPG
The Mount

IMG_7034.JPG
The Monument

IMG_7036.JPG
Last few metres to the top

IMG_7039.JPG
Flat on my back at the summit!

IMG_7044.JPG
Self timed - there ain't nobody else up here!

IMG_7045.JPG
Perched on the trig

IMG_7046.JPG
Last glance back on the way home

Mount Hill - 4.3km, 130 metres of ascent, 1hr10mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Re: Two thirds of the North Fife Sub2K Marilyn circuit

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Truly lovely report. Don't this part of the country very well but it did indeed look pastoral!! Are you they are photos you posted and some of Turner's finest!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 am

Nice one Graeme :D aye, there's a chance (albeit very slim) that I may catch up with you some day on the munros but none whatsoever when it comes to corbetts, grahams and sub 2000s 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Tomsie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 am

Nice photo's looked like the weather turned good.

I have only a 10 sec delay on camera so you must have either long time delay on camera or your very quick :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:60
Grahams:38   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 pm

I remember Mount Hill as having more trees at the top - but I did climb it about 25 years ago :lol:

I'll need to go up Cairney Hill and Norman's Law some time I'm visiting family in Fife. :)
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Postby Jockstar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:36 pm

You are in my backyard but I haven't walked either of these!!! Why is it we never see things close to ourselves !
Especially as the walk and the pics were great. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland