walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bheinn fun above Achnasheen

Fionn Bheinn fun above Achnasheen

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 07/07/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 778m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Munro day 3 of our week staying at Bunchrew Campsite near Inverness, Valerie and I were on our own this time and we decided to review our Liathach plans. This was due to wet weather being forcast with reference to a small risk of thunder storms. Again though, where to go? We had so much choice all within a 60 minute drive limit that we had set for ourselves that day. Back to Achnasheen became our target with the intention to walk straight up Fionn Bheinn from the village. This seemed a straightforward option, and once texting my pal Marty as a home contact we were off for an afternoon on the hill. (Fionn Bheinn was fun!)
DSCN1838.JPG
After parking on the north side of the road from the Station we headed off in fine conditions up the burn that runs directly towards the small bridge on the approach road.
DSCN1842.JPG
There are one or two exciting wee stages as the gound steepens, and care underfoot becomes a sensible idea if enjoying the gorge views on Allt Achadh na Sine.
DSCN1846.JPG
After a waterfall area we turned right onto the open heather/grass covered peat lands. Outer shell jackets were on first, swiftly followed by over-trousers.....the sky was ever changing and keeping us guessing on what was an enjoyable ascent from Achnasheen.
DSCN1848.JPG
Civilisation now out of sight, waterproofs ringing and boots drookit! The edge of the peat hags was an interesting 400-500 metre stretch approaching Creagan nan Laogh.
At about 570 metres above sea-level after a period of time with hoods up enduring the rain, a louder and far more intensified sound drew all of our attention - THUNDER, crash, bang, boom!!! Wow! And an odd flash of lighting generally over the area. Quickly, we altered our route and contoured round into the hollow of the hill instead of seeking the higher path. To descend would have been another option, but that would mean open peatlands, so we kept located in the hollow close to the burn head and allowed time to pass before making any decision. The air did seem to settle and the thunder seemed to be heading SW leaving a more misty environment that gradually lightened as we slowly edged onwards again in the lull of the ridge.
DSCN1849.JPG
Now at 850 metres above sea-level after a time of uncertainty....
DSCN1850.JPG
Keeping a close eye on the weather we were making good progress again......
DSCN1854.JPG
Wow! again....now the appealing side of Fionn Bheinn was becoming clear.
DSCN1856.JPG
DSCN1857.JPG
I love this photo...the clarity of atmosphere cleansed is managing to come through....
DSCN1860.JPG
Valerie now at the Trig point and the winds have risen...(we're still watching the weather, but it's good to linger too and savour the day..)
DSCN1865.JPG
Me drookit and happy! (might have been the first munro to beat me in a long time..who would have imagined that with Fionn Bheinn)
DSCN1873.JPG
One of my obligitary lochan shots - note some interesting beasts now clear in the background.
DSCN1875.JPG
Liathach and Beinn Eighe......
DSCN1885.JPG
Slioch...hey hey!
DSCN1895.JPG
Another wee chum for me this week......whilst giving Valerie some map and compass training.
DSCN1900.JPG
The burn is flowing...nae wonder!
DSCN1909.JPG
Nice mucky-peaty water!
DSCN1911.JPG
The Allt Achadh nan Sine burn gorge dropping back down to Achnasheen.
Fionn Bheinn lying south of Loch Fannich gave a us a welcome we taste of the Fannaichs, and two days later we were to return.... :D :D :lol:
Last edited by Bod on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Fionn Bheinn fun above Achnasheen

Postby JonetCol » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Enjoyed your report Bod - cheers, its useful for me as I'm heading up that way early October and hope to do this one. Glad you escaped the lightning - musta bin scary!
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby Boulderdash » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Have done it but always wondered what it looked like!! Nice report, the Brahn seer would be proud. :D
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Another nice one Bod despite the weather :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jockstar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Like this a lot Bod...it looked a good walk ! Though I wouldn't fancy being out in the open especially with poles when there was lightning about. Love the photo 1857. Look like you had the whole world to yourself. Perfect ! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Nice - I like Fionn Bheinn despite it being considered as fairly dull. Nice grassy summit and good views of Fisherfield. I have a date with a couple of Grahams in the area so will be ensuring I include this in the circuit as well.

Good thing you weren't on the summit in the thunderstorm though - not a good place to be :shock:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Bod » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks malky_c, Jockstar, rockhopper, Boulderdash and JonetCol, I certainly am going to remember Fionn Bheinn far more than expected.......just goes to show yet again, how each and every mountain deserves due respect. Cheers the noo :D
malky_c wrote:Nice - I like Fionn Bheinn despite it being considered as fairly dull. Nice grassy summit and good views of Fisherfield. I have a date with a couple of Grahams in the area so will be ensuring I include this in the circuit as well.

Good thing you weren't on the summit in the thunderstorm though - not a good place to be :shock:
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:11 am

Must go back one day and take more note of Fisherfield outlook...
Bod wrote:Thanks malky_c, Jockstar, rockhopper, Boulderdash and JonetCol, I certainly am going to remember Fionn Bheinn far more than expected.......just goes to show yet again, how each and every mountain deserves due respect. Cheers the noo :D
malky_c wrote:Nice - I like Fionn Bheinn despite it being considered as fairly dull. Nice grassy summit and good views of Fisherfield. I have a date with a couple of Grahams in the area so will be ensuring I include this in the circuit as well.

Bod
Walker

Postby Redrock » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Thunder on Fionn Bheinn !! It's the one kind of weather that I definitely don't like to meet on the hills if I can help it! :shock: But once the weather cleared you got some amazing views all round - good to see Liathach and Beinn Eighe - amazing visibility in the rain-washed air! I suppose every cloud has a silver lining! :lol: Great report, Bod! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland