walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Eireagoraidh

Sgurr nan Eireagoraidh

Postby Dogshome » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Càrn a'Ghobhair

Date walked: 11/07/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr nan Eireagraidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The circuit of Loch an Nostairie rates only two and a half stars in the walking routes but by adding on Sgurr nan Eireagoraidh and Sgurr an Eilein Ghubhais it becomes a really good days walk. Start at the little carpark just of the A830 on the road to Glasnacardoch. Follow the road under the railway past some houses and along a good path to the loch. Climb over the super high stile. Keeps out the deer. There is a path immediately to the left but I followed the loch around and worked my way up the Alt a’ Bhaine.
P6180051.JPG
Looking down on Loch Nan Nostairie
Head left when you see the deer fence and you will find a gate. I added the little peak of Beinn na Caorach on the way, for minimum effort you are rewarded by wonderful views out over the Inner Hebrides and south to Loch Morar. A pleasant little ridge leads into a boggy crossing to the base of Sgurr Eireagoraidh. One of the features of walking in these hills is that there are very few paths and there are no obvious ones to the summit. So it is a question of find your own route. Luckily there are many grassy rakes running south to north with gullies running back south east to the summit ridge. I chose one of these and made steady progress to the ridge at around NM 716 962. A scramble over rocky knolls lead to the summit with increasingly fine views out to sea.
P6180066.JPG
Looking southwest with Eigg in the distance
The walking in this area of Moidart provides no high peaks but is unparalleled in the views available. I also find the lack of footpaths and the lack of other walkers a great charm of this area.
P6180069.JPG
Deer studying me on the slopes of Sgurr an Eilein Ghubhais
From the summit of Sgurr Eireagoraidh the route to Sgurr an Eilein Ghiubhais is clearly apparent. On the way across I had the opportunity to stop and watch a herd of red deer on the slopes of Sgurr an Eilein Ghiubhais. From the summit there are magnificent view along almost the whole length of Loch Nevis with wonderful white sandy hidden bays and deep blue and green water.
P6180075.JPG
View down Loch Nevis to Sandaig Bay

From here a route ESE leads to a gulley running downhill, the going is relatively easy although often boggy and wet all the way down to the valley floor where a turn to the SW leads to Loch Eireagraidh.
P6180079.JPG
Loch Eireagoraidh
From the outlet of the loch you can now pick up a path back to the deer gate and back down to Loch an Nostarie then on back to the car park at Glasnacardoch.
The beauty of these areas for walking in is as I have said, their lack of popularity, most people come to this area for the beaches and water based activities. Walkers tend to home in on Glencoe and Fort William rather than rush on to the coast. This leaves the whole of this area very unspoilt and empty. However, the very beauty of this area is also its major drawback. There are very few paths, you have to navigate your own routes and if you do run into troubles there id=s very unlikely to be anyone coming along to hail for help. In fact the next person you see may be me when I return to walk these hills next summer.
Dogshome
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:112
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Sgurr nan Eireagoraidh

Postby Lakeland Rambler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:37 am

Hoping to do the very same route thanks to this report in addition adding a two night camp,once close to or on Sgurr an Eilen Ghiubais followed by a night at possibly at the "Stepping Stones" at Lochan Stole with a long slog back up to Glasnacardoch..thank you for the report :clap:
Lakeland Rambler
Bird-watcher

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland