walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain and wrong turns.

Stuchd an Lochain and wrong turns.

Postby nathan79 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 12/07/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An exact month to the day when i was last out, i'd planned a triple bagging day of fun. Meall Ghaordaidh, then up to bag Stuchd an Lochain and Meall Buidhe.

I abandoned thoughts of Meall Ghaordaidh before i'd even left the house so i could enjoy a leisurely drive under unexpectedly blue skies. I'm always happy to head for Glen Lyon. I love it there. First time i'd been up past Ban Lawers visitors centre since last July(when there was still a visitors centre).

Arrived at my destination about 12, parked up at the bridge and set off. A mile or so in i started to have some misgivings. "Why can i see a big dam in the distance when i'm already parked at one?"

DOH!
I had neglected to take the turn up towards Loch an Daimh and was3 miles from where i should have set off! A sheepish stroll back to the car and back up the road to where i should have turned.
Met this mean looking lot shortly before the correct parking area. There were about 2 dozen of the beasts. Placid enough and they were happy to make way for me.
DSCF3577.JPG
Moooooooove please

Already suited and booted from my false start so it was straight off. The blue skies were a bit greyer but it was warm, muggy and there were flies of all shapes and size all over the place. Nice views over the reservoir.
DSCF3578.JPG
Loch an Daimh

The wee cairn which signals the path up is easily visible, the path up the hillside is quite clear to see too.
DSCF3580.JPG
Start of descent

After a month of weekends on the beer rather than on the hills i wasn't feeling too fit but i plodded onwards and upwards never the less, taking in the flora and fauna .
DSCF3582.JPG
Frog

A triffid tried to lunge for me as i made my ascent. Better luck next time.
DSCF3602.JPG
Common Butterwort

Glad to get up to the fenceposts and get in a position where i could at least see the days first objective.
DSCF3606.JPG
Stuchd an Lochain and Lochan an Daimh

I was finding it a right slog, especially knowing i still had Meall Buidhe to do after this, so i made the decision just to leave it for another day. Almost immediately i started enjoying myself knowing there was less pressure on me.

The midgies were starting to make their presence known. I'd been warned by a guy i met on the way up that they were out to play higher up. Perfect chance to try out the Smidge i'd bought. It seems to do the job. The little bloodsuckers were loitering with intent, settling on my jacket too, but i don't think i got one bite.

Happily reached the summit. Not sure how long i lingered here, but i didn't care. had some food and just pottered to and fro.
DSCF3615.JPG
Stuchd an Lochain summit

Made sure to check out all the pools by the path as i started to head on down. I always like to have a nose and see what's swimming about. In addition to the pond skaters, water fleas and diving beetles, i saw the menacing figure of a dragonfly nymph moving through the water towards me. Difficult to get a decent pic with my camera, oh for a polarizing filter! Using my hand for a shadow, this was the best i could do.
DSCF3622.JPG
Dragonfly nymph

The darker clouds came overhead and the rain came as i made my descent but it wasn't unwelcome. Pleasant, cooling summer rain with out the wind to make it unwelcome.

Back to my car about 6pm. A coffee, an apple and then it was time to brake the herd of coos and head home for some steak pie and chips i'd been looking forward to all day.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Stuchd an Lochain and wrong turns.

Postby andyfitz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Nice report Nathan. I like Stuchd an Lochain. Its a fine wee hill and well worthy of being done on its own for a good short walk. Excellent improvisation for cool shot of dragonfly nymph!
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 pm

nathan79 wrote:DOH!
I had neglected to take the turn up towards Loch an Daimh and was3 miles from where i should have set off! A sheepish stroll back to the car and back up the road to where i should have turned.

How many of us have done that on this little hill :lol: It must have the record for missed turnings. And I remember the midges on this hill too. Ate me alive a few years back :lol:

It's a great hill, but is a bit of a slog up isn't it :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby sloosh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 am

I loved this hill. I did it as a catch up because I'd already done Meall Ghaordaidh so when I arrived it was more of a box-ticking exercise than anything else but once I'd begun walking I found I really enjoyed it... even the really steep bits! Once I got to the views at the top it had been cemented into my memory as one of my favourites.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Jockstar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Stuchd an Lochain is one of my favourites and did both of them in the one day, only because I set off to do Meall Bhuide at 7.30 in the morning before doing the steep climb up by the boathouse. :D The walk to the top of Stuchd an Lochain is brilliant with the wee lochan nestling in to the hill. Well done Nathan...must get out together sometime. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby hags n crags » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Was there on Sunday and missed the turn off too. Luckily we realised our mistake before reaching the other dam. Otherwise we would have been pretty confused.
:lol:
hags n crags
Munro compleatist

Munros:207   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:2

Postby nathan79 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:25 pm

So glad to know i'm not the only one who's ended up in the wrong place (though i seem the only one who set out walking before realising their mistake!).

Brian, hard to believe that's 9 months since we did Ben Dorain and Ben an Dothaidh! Hopefuly see you at the Kintail meet.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Nice one Nathan and the info about the turn will be very important ot a lowlander like me. Hoping to do the 2 Munros in September. Hope I dont get lost and find the same dam as you did :lol:

I will let you know how I get on
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby neilmci » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 am

I also made the same mistake.

Total confusion and a bit of swearing later we made it to the correct starting point to find a snow drift partially across the road about 10 yards from the parking place. As we were now lat all other parking places were full so we had to resort to a bit of improvised bull dozing through the softish drift.

Other people trying the same were not quite so lucky!

I think some one should put up a sign at the wrong car park saying something like "I wouldn't start from here"
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 am

So glad to know i'm not the only one who's ended up in the wrong place (though i seem the only one who set out walking before realising their mistake!).

No you're not! I set out walking too :( It was only when we'd completed the initial ascent and realised the lie of the land didn't correspond with the map that we realised our error.

I wonder if anyone's got all the way to the wrong summit without realising and ticked off the Corbett thinking it's the Munro?
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 am

Smashing report Nathan. Haven't ventured to area recently so any help with getting started on the correct hill is greatly appreciated :D

Your picture of the dragon-fly is amazing. It would make a great teeshirt or album cover :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Morag M » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 am

Great report Nathan, I enjoyed these two,
however the first time I attempted them I also missed the turning and ended up at Loch Lyon,
and it took me a wee while to realise :oops: :crazy: :lol:
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland