walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Me and the pup on the Wee Bookil

Me and the pup on the Wee Bookil

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 12/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday morning up early(0630) and on the way to Glencoe to walk the Wee Bookil, just me and the pup, lots of people had spoken of taking company with them so it was time to get the pup started on a couple of hills. Stopped off at Tyndrum for a bacon roll and arrived at the carpark opposite the beehive before 9 and under way right away. The MWIS forecast was looking spot on, bit of low cloud, very little wind and chance of showers later. The path up to the bealach is easily followed, and well worked with rock steps most of the way, just mind to take the left fork after a couple hundred metres and don't cross the burn to the other side as we nearly did doh!
The pup was all energy and excitment at getting out in the hills and easily left me in his slipstream and was off.
Reached the bealach just after an hour, thats with loads of breathers and I seem to have sprung a leak, no wicking t shirt is gonna take care of that :?

Me and the pup at the bealach.JPG

Dumped our bags and headed up Stob Coire Raineach, not too serious but what views when you get to the top, and then walked down the other side slightly. The cloud was still hanging about at this time, just covering the tops and obscuring the view in the distance
After the climb up from the carpark looking over to the devils staircase made me think that was a bit tame now(WHW memory)
Rannoch Moor, and the devils staircase and Beinn a' Chrulaiste.JPG

Looking around and over towards the Three Sisters and Bidean nam Bian, AE, and what I discovered later was The Chancellor and taking in the views towards Buachaille Etive Mor was just breathtaking.
Time for a wee dram, unfortunately it was a bit sacriligeous as I only had Jameson's for the hip flask, never mind hic ! :?

Taking it all in on summit of SCR 2011-07-12 10.39.23.jpg

After a little bit of hopping around the rocks to try and get the best phots we headed back down to pick up our bags,
a quick cuppa and sarnie and it was time to head for Stob Dubh.

The path to Stob Dubh.JPG

I thought the ridge/path looked a little intimidating from the bealach but it was fine, and probably an easier ascent than SCR. Until now we had been on our own, but now had a bit of company on the top. The cloud had continued to burn off and the temp had risen, and views across the Three sisters and Bidean nam Bian again were spectacular, also looking down towards Dalness, Loch Etive and Ben Starav was a picture.
L to R Stob na Broige, think this is the other Stob Dubh, Ben Starav  Loch Etive, Meall a Bhuiridh and then Stob Coire Sgreamhach.jpg

This being only my 2nd/3rd munros I made conscious decision to spend more time on the tops, think I may have already started to think "get up n get back down". I try and put times on my reports more to indicate how much time it can take, not some form of target. I think thats a good thing to give a broad spectrum of times for various groups, verbal ramble over.
Whilst on top of Stob Dubh we considered carrying on over and down the SW side and walking back along the Lairig Eilde, but decided to leave it for another day, in hindsight maybe should have done it cos that staircase back down really beasted the knees.

The long and winding staircase.JPG

Once back at the car we took a drive along to the viewpoint had a look at the approach to the Three Sisters, god that looks wonderful, like something out of Jurassic Park
All in all a great walk and great day out with my son, here's to many more.
Some other phots of our day on the Wee Bookil

Zen moment for the pup.JPG

Me and the Pup just over the top of SCR.JPG

Me with BEM in the background, the pup getting all artistic.jpg

When's the next bus.jpg

Ridge between bealach and Stob Dubh summit.JPG
Attachments
Looking towards Dalness and Loch Etive.JPG
Last edited by MarilynMunro on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Me and the pup on the Wee Bookil

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Nice report MM, really like your second photo. Great views to be had all over on a clear day.
I find if the 'pup' tears off in front a nice leash is in order. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Cheers skuk007, like that view myself, the view from there back to the Buachaille's is probably what got my interest up to start hillwalking, as for the pup the rustle of my wallet usually brings him to heel ha ha
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Brilliant report MM!!
You've set yourself a really high standard with great narrative and beautiful photos (love the artistic one!)

Good to see your pup out with you even if he is of the two legged variety!

Cheers

P x
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby alfredo143 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Good photos and great views. :) Hope you took a poop bag for the pup :lol:
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks folks, appreciate the comments, really was a day to remember in my early walks, loved being out with my boy. Photography is all down him, if he didn't take it, he told me how to. Great days.
Alfredo, thankfully his nappy days are long behind :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland