walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Devils Point

The Devils Point

Postby Les Stuart » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Date walked: 13/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 31 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second day based in Braemar and after a hard day previously, I was hoping for an easier day with just one Munro to do, though there was a lot of ground to cover.
Same as Tuesday, began by cycling from the Linn of Dee to Derry Lodge then walking west towards the Lairig Ghru passing Carn a' Mhaim.
IMG_4896_edited-1.jpg
Boggy ground

IMG_4898_edited-1.jpg
Carn a' Mhaim

Joined the Lairig Ghru for a few hundrerd metres before crossing over to Corrour Bothy.
IMG_4899_edited-1.jpg
Aircraft

There were aircraft flying up and down the Lairg Ghru most of the morning though not your usual high speed fighter planes. They were more sedate and gracefull looking. On approaching The Devil's Point, it reminded me of Buachaille Etive Mor, though not just as grand.
IMG_4900_edited-1.jpg
The Devil's Point

IMG_4901_edited-1.jpg
The Bothy

From behind the bothy I picked up the path which takes you right too the summit.
IMG_4903_edited-1.jpg
Path Higher Up

IMG_4911_edited-1.jpg
The Devil's Point

IMG_4910_edited-1.jpg
The Summit

As you gain height the path becomes steeper and in the hot sun, it was hard going. Reached the summit and had lunch and chatted to another guy who took my photo as proof for folks back home. Also took photos of the views as you could see for miles.
IMG_4905_edited-1.jpg
Towards River Dee

IMG_4907_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4908_edited-1.jpg
Lairig Ghru

Headed back down the way I came to pick up the bike to get back too the car park. Drove home that evening and stopped at a roadside fruit shop outside Blairgowrie and bought fresh raspberries for my dear wife to make me jam.
It had been a great two days with the excellent weather making it that bit extra special.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: The Devils Point

Postby gagfax » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 pm

I was up there earlier this year and it really is a great place. Good place to take a tent too :D
gagfax

Postby JGKES » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Interested to read your report and view the usual high-quality pictures.I was up Carn A'Mhain on Wednesday 13th July with a mate on his first Scottish walking holiday.This mountain was my 51st Munro,36 years after my first.We loosened up the day before on Cairn Tuirc and Carn Claise.Wednesday's weather was really good,as yours was.We saw the same aircraft too,flying towards us in Glen Luibeg.Wonder what they are doing in the Cairngorms?I'd read posts on here mentioning a path up Carn Mhaim,which isn't on my map,but I never thought it would be as good as it was:it was a superb path.Well done Cairngorm tourist board.The view was stupendous.My companion was particularly taken with that of the Devil's Point and of the meanders in the glen which fills its southern side.He was snapping away but unfortunately I haven't got the technique of sending pictures online.If we're in Glenshee again we'll try your route up the Point.Those raspberry fields and strawberry fields on the way back home are the biggest I've ever seen.Enjoy the jam.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby staticmouse45 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:03 pm

I was in your neck of the woods about the same time....the planes you have pictures of are actually filming the scenes from the 3rd Batman film....good snap of them!
staticmouse45
Munro compleatist

Munros:39   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Vick1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Started this walk from Linn of Dee in April and after a long pause near the bothy decided to turn back as I clearly wasnt gonna get any views and wasnt up for another days battering by the strong winds and rain :-(
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby Les Stuart » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:34 pm

That is interesting as I could not see any markings on the planes, thinking at first they were RAF aircraft on excercise.

staticmouse45 wrote:I was in your neck of the woods about the same time....the planes you have pictures of are actually filming the scenes from the 3rd Batman film....good snap of them!
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Yes it was a good day for the hills with great views. Do not leave it so long for the next fifty.

JGKES wrote:Interested to read your report and view the usual high-quality pictures.I was up Carn A'Mhain on Wednesday 13th July with a mate on his first Scottish walking holiday.This mountain was my 51st Munro,36 years after my first.We loosened up the day before on Cairn Tuirc and Carn Claise.Wednesday's weather was really good,as yours was.We saw the same aircraft too,flying towards us in Glen Luibeg.Wonder what they are doing in the Cairngorms?I'd read posts on here mentioning a path up Carn Mhaim,which isn't on my map,but I never thought it would be as good as it was:it was a superb path.Well done Cairngorm tourist board.The view was stupendous.My companion was particularly taken with that of the Devil's Point and of the meanders in the glen which fills its southern side.He was snapping away but unfortunately I haven't got the technique of sending pictures online.If we're in Glenshee again we'll try your route up the Point.Those raspberry fields and strawberry fields on the way back home are the biggest I've ever seen.Enjoy the jam.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes there were a few tents about when I came down from the summit at the bothy.

gagfax wrote:I was up there earlier this year and it really is a great place. Good place to take a tent too :D
Les Stuart

Postby JGKES » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Yes,If I take as long to collect the second fifty as for the first -36 years-I'll be 102 when I get the century.Don't think I'll be around.The Munros with narrow ridges and intimidating precipices,which abound in Scotland, are now out of bounds for me.I'm more into grassier hills with wide summits so Cairngorms and Glenshee hills fit the bill.I've earmarked a few for a future visit.I was pleased with how comfortable I found Carn A'Mhaim's ascent-15 miles and 2400 feet height gained for the round trip-so my walking mate and I have set sights on Ben Avon next year,which is a 20-miler.And Devil's Point of course.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland