walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Green Buchaille Etive Mor!

Green Buchaille Etive Mor!

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 02/01/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just submitting my non-snowy photos of and from Buachaille Etive Mor (hereafter known as BEM;-) after the comment I made on Graeme Dewar's Buachaille post that I had some similar piccies in green as opposed to snow. I'll just outline the route we took as well...

I'd always thought Coire na Tulaich had a bit of a reputation for it's rocks towards the top of the corrie wall so I didn't fancy ascending/descending that way so I'd spent some time on the Glen Etive road studying the side and thought that the Coire Cloiche Finne (SW of the main summit Stob Dearg) looked okay so we went up that way and, having no confidence in any of the other routes, back down the plain grass slopes to the south between Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altrium. We did have a look down Coire na Tulaich though and I thought it looked fine, as did the route down the corrie on the northern side of where we descended. Previous to going up the mountain I thought it looked a horror but it turned out to be a nice day's walking so I'll probably do it again using the more usual routes.
Glencoe,BEM,Stob Dearg1.jpg
The corrie of ascent - Coire Cloiche Finne
Glencoe,BEM,Stob Dearg3.jpg
Sun catching the peak - we had sun all day, everything else didn't!;-)
Glencoe,Buchaille Etive Mor end.jpg
Glencoe,Mamores etc fm BEM.jpg
My fave pic of that day!
G Etive fm Stob na Doire,BEM.jpg
Fancy this for a descent route? I thought it looked possible...
Glencoe,BEM,Stob na Doire.jpg
Glencoe,BEM,Stob na Doire & Creise.jpg
My 2nd fave pic of the day...
Glencoe,BEM,Stob na Broige.jpg
The green equivalent of Graeme's snowy shot
Glencoe,Stob Coire Raineach,BEB.jpg
BEB being, of course, Buachaille Etive Beag
Glencoe,BEB & Bidean fm BEM.jpg
Glencoe,Buchaille Etive Mor ridge.jpg
Richard following along the ridge...
Glencoe,Buchaille Etive Mor.jpg
The whole snaking ridge of BEM
The Buachaille Sweep.jpg
The famous Glen Etive view of the bums of the Buachailles!;-)
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Green Buchaille Etive Mor!

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks mountain coward! Looks like you had a good day out on the big guy too. Definitely a mountain that deserves multiple ascents via various routes in different seasons.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland