walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a

a

Postby steven671 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 28/11/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

W
Last edited by steven671 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: aonach eagach (doggy style)

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 am

So you did make it :clap: , we were the two guys that passed you :) The opt out path was going to be the hardest for you to negotiate, if you made that then nothing any more difficult than you had scrambled already. Glad you made eventually 8)Get the piccies up soon :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby steven671 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:44 am

soulminer wrote:So you did make it :clap: , we were the two guys that passed you :) The opt out path was going to be the hardest for you to negotiate, if you made that then nothing any more difficult than you had scrambled already. Glad you made eventually 8)Get the piccies up soon :)
Cheers.
..Yes we made it and thank`s for the advice,we met 2 coming toward us as we had just finished the ridge and they have 2 pic`s of my dog and one of the other guy`s,that passed us just after you, Ian from Dundee has a pic of us so hopefully he will email it (them ) to me and that is all i will have to prove i done the ridge with my brave hairy labrador Jet.Bought a new harness used by mountain rescue for £79 and it broke while dropping of in a crevice,lucky dog, lucky me,i`me realy peed off here,after all that and no pic`s,even out on the chancelor as well.....all the pics that were saved were of starav the next day
steven671
Mountaineer

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 am

As I had said my dogs have the same harness, well one has- the other has the harness with the triple attachment for saddle bags (right).
IMGP0003 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Glad you have some pix to look forward to, didn't think to take any whilst talking :( It was Kevs first major scramble so was concentrating on getting him over, as you were with Jet :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby steven671 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:50 pm

steven671 wrote:
soulminer wrote:So you did make it :clap: , we were the two guys that passed you :) The opt out path was going to be the hardest for you to negotiate, if you made that then nothing any more difficult than you had scrambled already. Glad you made eventually 8)Get the piccies up soon :)
Cheers.
..Yes we made it and thank`s for the advice,we met 2 coming toward us as we had just finished the ridge and they have 2 pic`s of my dog and one of the other guy`s,that passed us just after you, Ian from Dundee has a pic of us so hopefully he will email it (them ) to me and that is all i will have to prove i done the ridge with my brave hairy labrador Jet.Bought a new harness used by mountain rescue for £79 and it broke while dropping of in a crevice,lucky dog, lucky me,i`me realy peed off here,after all that and no pic`s,even out on the chancelor as well.....all the pics that were saved were of starav the next day

just after you left Jet`s harness broke dropping him down that narrow crevice and it was claimed to be used for mountain rescue so you can lift and lay your dog.i will have to find a real harness somewhere for the next ridge walk.jet is going back over AE for some pic`s
steven671
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Enjoyed this report Steven. A bit hairy in parts though!!

Great that you received help and encouragement from the other climbers :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2

Postby steven671 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Enjoyed this report Steven. A bit hairy in parts though!!

Great that you received help and encouragement from the other climbers :D :D

thanks Polly,i have managed to retrieve the pics from that camera,(bought a new camera so going to do the AE again as soon as find a reliable harness.cant take pics while one is lowering or lifting one`s dog though),hope you like the pics on now i hope

S
steven671
Mountaineer

Postby steven671 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm

steven671 wrote:
Cheers.

hi S,could you please send web address of your harnesses as i will have to try and find a reliable one as we are going back up for some decent pic`s

regard`s
S
steven671
Mountaineer

Re: aonach eagach (doggy style),with pic`s now

Postby soulminer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi Steve,
Glad you got some pic's in the end.
Here is the harness I have
http://www.themountainfactor.com/shop/product.php?xProd=15435&xSec=2645

Here is another suggestion, but expensive :shock:
http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/muddy-paws-c ... d_442.html
Designed for exactly the use you wish to put it to.
Good luck :)
soulminer

Postby Crawler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 am

I'd have thought that a horribly ill-advised place to take a dog! :shock:
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 am

Cant say I agree with some of your coments posted
steven671 wrote:easy peasy
steven671 wrote:been easy,straight forward scrambling

What may seam easy fo some people,may well be out of reach for others,glad you and your dog made it to the end,but dont see any point and going back over this again with your dog just for the sake of some photos,you were lucky the first time when the harrness snapped,might not be so lucky the second time,and its the dog that will suffer
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby davetherave » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 am

Very well done to you both.

I personally think most dogs that are calm and obedient with plenty out door experience would probably manage the ridge without a harness, but what would be the point in that.

What I mean by that is, if you are confident and you are confident in your dog why not.... Your only fault was that you may have been ill advised on the choice of harness.that you eventually purchased.

As for us doing the A and E as a group, well that idea may have to wait, we now have a new addition to our family, an 8 month collie with no outdoor experience.

Well done Steven and Jet.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Grahams:26   Donalds:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 am

[quote="davetherave"]

As for us doing the A and E as a group, well that idea may have to wait, we now have a new addition to our family, an 8 month collie with no outdoor experience.

Nice one dave :thumbup: any pics of your new addition
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 am

Glad to see dog and master made over the ridge safely.

Well done to both of you.

Whats next - curved ridge???? :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 am

Interesting report Steven that has triggered a subject for debate, and some thought provoking considered comments. I have to say that my point of view based on my experience with my golden lab Ritchie is that I never even considered taking him over Aonach Eagach. He has been up Bidean nam Bian and 40 other munros, but AE with ropes and harnesses no, not for him.
Keep enjoying your outdoors.....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland