walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What is the point?

What is the point?

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 15/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What’s the point? I mean what is the blithering point?

Yea OK – today started off nice. See here a nice photo of the Aonach Eagach with patches of blue sky and pretty white clouds.
DSCF1049.JPG

But it didn’t last. I never lasts. The cloud descends as I ascend.

For example here is a final wee glimpse of Loch Leven between the hills and through the mist before the clouds finally close in.
DSCF1077.JPG

And eventually the same old summit photie – one drookit walker and cloud – some rock but mostly cloud.
DSCF1080.JPG

Sgor na h-Ulaidh today but it could have been anywhere. All my summit pictures are the same.

It was the same last Sunday on Beinn an Lochain.
DSCF1037.JPG

Spot any difference? (Apart from one is an ugly old sod and one is a lovely gerl). Nope – it’s just all cloud.

The week before on Beinn nan Aighenan
DSCF0982.JPG

Clouds – what kind of clouds? “Head in the clouds” variety of clouds that's what! Soaked to the skin kind of clouds.

The “In Pin” in May
SKYE_MAY11 044.JPG

Hunners of clouds
Have you spotted the trend?

Ben Vorlich in April
VORLICH 011.JPG

Clouds and wind (and clouds)

Glen Affric in March
highres_22285251.jpg

Cold, wet clouds

What am I doing wrong? I think I’ll give up hill walking and go back to scuba diving. At least I won’t get so wet!
alastair.jpg
Last edited by EACHANN AN DOIRE on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Whta is the point?

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Is it OK to make a comment about your own post? Sorry – that was a right old winge. Sorry.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: What is the point?

Postby kev_russ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Check the forecast before yi fire oot... ;) :lol:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Thats the Scottish weather for you, maybe you should go out the days i go out i seem have been very lucky so far in the majority of my hills have been in good weather :D Have a look at them and see what you get on a nice day :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 pm

:lol: Flexibility in where and when you're planning to go. Be ready to hold off and not go and/or change plans subject to the weather. Doesn't always work of course as some of my recent trips demonstrate. :shock: The weather's part of the fun - rainbows and storm clouds can be more interesting than clear blue skies. 8) :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I know how you feel EACHANN AN DOIRE seam to spend most of my time clag walking also
046.JPG
Mullach A Clach Blair
014.JPG
Bein Dearg
009.JPG
Stob a" Choire Odhair
017.JPG
Stob Ghabhar
016.JPG
The Saddle
004.JPG
Creag Leacach
005.JPG
Glas Maol
008.JPG
Cairn of Claise
010.JPG
Carn an Tuirc

Its all right people saying you should pick and choose the days you go out,but for me this is not possible,so clag or not I need to go simple as that
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tulla » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:58 pm

you must not forget all the great days! i think i saw you on Beinn a' Bheithir - a brilliant day, remember?!
tulla
Walker

Munros:245   
Islands:27

Postby Klaasloopt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Hmmm. My first thought was: lots of people seem to say "if only this (car in front of me / woman / boss) would (move / love me / leave me alone), I will finally be happy". You seem to have chosen the weather as the source of your misery. Clever, because allways available as the culprit. Forgetting about the good days on the hill fits the pattern.

Why not find the real source of you thinking of yourself as - in your own words - an ugly old sod. Singing in the clag might soon become possible.

(I too come to the hills to feel on top of the world, and I know sometimes the illusion breaks down and one ends up lonely and miserable. Singing supersad songs allways works for me, rekindles the grin, the flame)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Bod » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 pm

HEY hey hey......loved this report and all in great spirit too... :( :D :lol: We all have these days, but I have to admit I am very lucky. Not all my dates are flexible and are planned long before weather forecasts are relevant. But I have to pay credit too to Valerie who has a lot of patience trying to interpret weather before we get out there, and sometimes we change location based on this night before. Great clag pictures - both of you! :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland