walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Vaned on whilst notching up the half century for 2011

Vaned on whilst notching up the half century for 2011

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 16/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19.4 km

Ascent: 1814m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Changeable weather was about the best the forecast could offer for Saturday with some probability of sustained rain. I thought it was a good day to sort out the remaining red dots in the Arrochar Alps; Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich. Not hills I've been particularly looking forward to; I'm not a fan of hydroelectric power and in this case additional scars on the landscape from electricity pylons. Still it is what it is I guess.

DSCN0333.JPG
The route up Ben Vane...

So to the walk; well it vaned on me all the way up Ben Vane and I was suitably soaked; as well as pretty hot by the time the summit was reached. All in all, the climb wasn't as steep as I'd been expecting from reading peoples reports; just a couple of bits where the hands were required. I didn't linger at the summit; there was a good wind blowing and it was cloud covered so nothing to see.

DSCN0335.JPG

I was thinking on the descent that I could use some good fortune from the weather gods to give me a spark of motivation for Ben Vorlich. And thankfully the weather gods were kind; it stopped raining; and began to clear. So I stopped for a spot of lunch and a beer...

Ben Vorlich Panormama Small.jpg

Not long after that I was 'doing it all again' aka climbing up Ben Vorlich; these are two long sustained steep ascents to do back to back given you drop back down to 150 metres before the reascent. Still it wasn't long before the hard work was done; head down when it's like this I say and just get on with it. The legs were suffering a little bit as I strolled along the gentle ridge to the summit which was again cloud covered, though dry this time. Don't be fooled by the initial summit cairn and trig point the summit is another two minutes beyond that. And of course; the tributes to Whiskey still continue...

DSCN0347.JPG

DSCN0350.JPG

A quick refuel at the summit with some ham and then back to the car. Some of the views you'll see over Lock Lomond are attractive enough; but in my view scarred by man. There are far nicer places in Scotland, but we are spoilt in this country; it's far from ugly... :D

DSCN0355.JPG

DSCN0361.JPG

The route... Two up and downers as they say in the trade... And that makes 51 munros for me in 2011; a little milestone; my target was to get to the halfway point this year; which now looks easily achievable; just another 28 required to hit that not so little landmark...

2011 - 07 - 16 - Ben Vane.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

And the stats; two steep puppies all done in 6 and a half hours...

DSCN0366.JPG
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Vaned on whilst notching up the half century for 2011

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Great report there mate and it looks a cracking day out, but you'll get shot down in flames for using the word "lock" :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby victoriajarrett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Quite an impressive smash at the hills this year and that's with 2 months off!!!

Here's to the next 50 and sharing some of those with you, more of Simba's Kingdom to see ;)
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice report and pics. I climbed these two on separate trips last summer so I know the effort involved. The two ascents are hard enough on their own never mind the long walk back to the car park!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 pm

51 Munros already in 2011, that's a nice score, well done! You've got plenty of time now to get to the magic half way figure. Or have you perhaps upped your target? 8)
Paula Hubens

Postby andrewdoggett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:51 Munros already in 2011, that's a nice score, well done! You've got plenty of time now to get to the magic half way figure. Or have you perhaps upped your target? 8)

Thanks Paula... I have indeed mentally upped the target, though haven't set the new one yet... I've got plans for the Mullardoch Round that destroyed our Monty; the 9 Fannaichs, and then there's the five at Lochnagar, so that lot will see me through to over the half way point...

Taking suggestions on a new target... :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Del246 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Hat of to you for doing both on the one trip, I have done both so know the effort involved. I done Ben Vorlich in a heat wave and like you got no views from Ben Vane. Well done, great effort.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland