walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 17/07/2011

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 895m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Chose to go out on Sunday morning as the weather forecast looked that little bit better than Saturday which was forecast to be bad and was a lot worse. This, my 50th Munro, is an ideal walk for a Sunday morning; nothing too difficult no real need for maps and compasses just a slog up through the mud to an easy summit. Had my usual bacon roll and coffee at the van in the car park at the top of Glen Ogle, bit of a bonus as I didn't know if they were open on Sunday morning.
The weather was a lot better than predicted with plenty of sunshine interspersed with the odd black cloud and spits of rain, the wind was occasionally gusting towards the top but apart from that a perfect day for a walk.
Made the top in 2 hours which surprised me as I didn't feel that energetic after having a bit of a boozy Friday night out; the walk back to the car was fine albeit very wet and boggy in places. I must start looking for new boots as mine are starting to get a bit smooth, if they were tyres I don't think they would be road legal. The reason I'm saying this is I slipped on my backside into very wet mud twice and ended up with a soaking wet arse (good job nobody was around to watch).
Thankfully the sun shone all the way back to the car and dried me out a bit; got down in an hour and a quarter and home to a Sunday Dinner cooked by my better which was a nice change as normally Sunday roast is the only meal of the week I cook.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland