walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Around Morvich

Around Morvich

Postby Komakawan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Fionas included on this walk: Carnan Cruithneachd

Date walked: 09/07/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22.9 km

Ascent: 1537m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were in Morvich campsite (which i truly recommend by the way), climbed the Sisters and A'Ghlas Bheinn the days before and had to find another walk around Morvich (leaving there the third of us who was not able to walk anymore and had to rest).
We look upwards, saw what i recognized as the Corbett Sgurr An Airgid, and imagined a walk to the Graham Carnan Cruitneachd, which clearly provoked us as we descended from the A'Ghlas Bheinn two days before.
From Morvich, follow the road to Lienassie (turn two times right), enter the courtyard of the farm on the left and here begins a steep but pleasant ascent with sheeps and goats around.
At the bealach, you will find a small cairn, and a clear path turning left to the Corbett. The 2nd part of the ascent is rougher and gives beautiful views on the Loch Druich and Kintail on your left.
The mist arrived a few minutes after us on summit of the Corbett. We took a short break to cook a soup and descended back to the Bealach. The sky remained low-lying the next hours.
We follow the undefined ridge to Beinn Buidhe (which has 3 cairns on several minor bumps) and saw on left the wild plateau of Loch Nan Eun. We decided to go to Loch an t-Sabhail through wild and wet ground, just to see if there were fishes in it. This part of our walk can be avoided by following the ridge to Beinn Bhreac.
On our way, we saw deers, a hare, black grouses and other birds, and frogs at every step. No fishes :D
We followed the river and climbed a bit to the NW-shouldering of Beinn Bhreac (you will find small cairns and a undefined path there). From here we saw the Graham in front of us and decided to attack him from the right side (see photos, a green funnel goes up to the middle of the hill). There is no path to the summit anyway...
Great view from the summit, a "must-see".
The return route for this walk is almost a "tourist" route, compared to the wild ride so far... just follow the path and then the track through the woods. After a footbridge and a few miles, you will arrive as satisfied as we were at Morvich campsite.
Have fun !
I shall apologize for my english and point out i am french.
Attachments
P1010442.JPG
Misty morning in Morvich campsite.
P1010446.JPG
First steps of ascent. See Allt A'Chruin and Loch Druich.
P1010452.JPG
On the bealach. The way to the summit is on the right side of the Corbett.
P1010461.JPG
Alex and me on the top of Sgurr An airgid
P1010465.JPG
Rough ground ! In mist, terrific A'Ghlas Bheinn and Beinn Fada.
P1010466.JPG
Micro-frog !
P1010473.JPG
On one of the summits of Beinn Buidhe. See Skye Bridge (zoom in :-) )
P1010476.JPG
Hey ya !
P1010477.JPG
Loch an t-Sabhail
P1010489.JPG
On the wild plateau. On the right, Bheinn Bhreac.
P1010493.JPG
Carnan Cruitneachd. On its right, the green funnel that we followed to climb it.
P1010506.JPG
Alex on the top of the world ... hum, of the Carnan Cruitneachd !
P1010512.JPG
The way back to Morvich. On the right, in the clouds, Sgurr An Airgid

Kintail3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Komakawan
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Around Morvich

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm

(which i truly recommend by the way),

A Frenchman who's picked up the Scotch lingo :D

Good report guys, sorry garcons, i too was at Morvich recently and agree it's a great site. I also climbed Sgurr an Airgrid which is a great Corbett with lovely views, didn't do the Graham though but will get round to it one day
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Not been up Carnan Cruitneachd yet, but it looks like a good one - I particuarly like your photo of the summit :)
Agree with JC - Sgurr an Airgid is a great hill too.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Komakawan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I prefered the graham ! No path, sharp summit, even its name is rough !
A few more views of it below ...
Attachments
P1010355.JPG
From the path to the Falls of Glomach ...
Panorama 1.JPG
Carnan Cruitneachd as we descended from A'Ghlas Beinn
P1010505.JPG
Komakawan
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rob munbett » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Heading up to Morvich early August. Will certainly head over to Carnan C - the views down Glen Elchaig look great. Good report.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 pm

That looks like a great day in a beautiful area. Nice photos, Komakawan.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland