walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) & the muddy shorts! (Munro No.3)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) & the muddy shorts! (Munro No.3)

Postby erin_niamh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 19/07/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

7 days since my last munro and I was desperate to get out and get another 1 in the bag! Donnie had agreed to come along, this time it was my choice and in my wisdom I went for Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond), i'd find out later why my friend was a little surprised at my choice! :lol:

A meeting in the morning meant another late start, arriving at the visitor centre car park approx 1.15pm, a quick roll and a cup of tea and we're on our way along the A82 at 1.30pm

1. The A82 path to the private road.JPG

As the route states, a right turn 1km along the road, through the gate and under the railway bridge and we are on the private road.

2. The nice walk along the private road.JPG

I enjoyed the walk along this road and wasn't long before some other hills come into view.

3. Ben Vane coming into view.JPG

Further along the road, past the power station we look for the cairn marking where we should start our ascent, not in sight, we find a decent spot and go for it! :?

4. Donnie & Teo on the steep ascent.JPG

This was a steep and very tiring ascent and I found it hard! Several short stops required before we reached the top, the views got better very quickly though and I knew that it would all be worth it soon enough!

5. looking back down towards Loch Sloy.JPG

6. somebody's tired!.JPG

7. the path.JPG

2 hours and 40 mins later and we were at the top!! :D and it was well worth every bit of the slog, it was tiring and at points i thought my calf's were going to seize. Each time I took a short break, took in the views and I was good to go again. The views, as expected improved with each step, the only disappointing aspect was the mist had came down just as we reached the summit meaning no views :( !

A cup of tea and another roll and it was time to head for home !

8. Donnie at the summit with teo begging for a bit of roll!.JPG

9. Neil at the Summit.JPG

10. looking back to the summit.JPG

11. Donnie on the way back surrounded with mist.JPG

12. the path back down along the ridge.JPG

13. the 1st trig point and false summit.JPG

Not far from the summit and the mist starts to clear...

14. looking towards Loch Lomond as the mist clears.JPG

15. some more nice views.JPG

The steep ascent is much easier as you would expect on the way back down but as you get near the bottom and the path goes out of sight, it gets a little tricky on the wet grass! Just as we were discussing how Donnie and his friends couldn't stay on their feet due to the conditions the last time he climbed it.....wooops! down I go! right in a muddy puddle :lol: my patterned pink shorts now had a new colour :lol:

In no time at all we were at the bottom and I was......eh...relieved! :D and we also found something that could have come in handy a bit earlier

16. so thats where the cairn was hiding!.JPG

The weather was perfect, warm with no wind and I enjoyed the walk back along the level road, it seemed to help my legs return to normal :lol:

17. 1 final look before i set for home.JPG

7pm and we return to the car, a final cup of tea :D change out the muddy shorts and hit the road for home,

where next????

18. bedtime!!.JPG
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) & the muddy shorts! (Munro No.3)

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Nice one - must be 9 out of 10 people miss the starting point and just head straight up (including me) :D

Not sure about the pink shorts though - maybe getting muddy was an improvement :wink: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice one - must be 9 out of 10 people miss the starting point and just head straight up (including me) :D

Not sure about the pink shorts though - maybe getting muddy was an improvement :wink: :lol:

if we walked another few steps the cairn would have been obvious! :lol: not sure it would have been any easier right enough :?

those are my munro shorts you are making fun of ......but you might have a point :lol:
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 pm

erin&niamh wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Nice one - must be 9 out of 10 people miss the starting point and just head straight up (including me) :D

if we walked another few steps the cairn would have been obvious! :lol: not sure it would have been any easier right enough :?
those are my munro shorts you are making fun of ......but you might have a point :lol:
:lol: :lol: don't think I have much of a leg to stand on - my corbett shorts are in this one :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby erin_niamh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm

rockhopper wrote:
erin&niamh wrote:

:lol: :lol: don't think I have much of a leg to stand on - my corbett shorts are in this one :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm not even going to say anything! :lol:

the shorts say it all 8) :lol:

shorts are washed & packed for another wee adventure this week :D hopefully 1 day somebody will recognise me on the hill with my dodgy shorts :lol:
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby wolf1973 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Nice report, was up that way a few weeks ago and like most people I missed the start to!
I knew it started between the 3rd and 4th pilon but when I looked for the cairn it was "missing" :shock:
Or mibby i just missed it :lol:
100_0096.JPG
The start (but no cairn??)

Will be heading back up that way again soon to finnish what I started, my last attempt was scupperd by lack of time for the last bus back to Glasgow, and found out to late that there was a bus I could have cought 2hrs later :evil: :wtf:
wolf1973
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Caledonia84 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm

great report and pictures! I watch a couple do the exact same thing as you and take a tumble on the way down. Only for me to do the x=same thing when I got to where they fell :shock:
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Well done on your third Munro! Reading your report brings back good memories (and phantom leg pains).
So yes, where next?
Paula Hubens

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 am

wolf1973 wrote:Nice report, was up that way a few weeks ago and like most people I missed the start to!
I knew it started between the 3rd and 4th pilon but when I looked for the cairn it was "missing" :shock:
Or mibby i just missed it :lol:
100_0096.JPG

Will be heading back up that way again soon to finnish what I started, my last attempt was scupperd by lack of time for the last bus back to Glasgow, and found out to late that there was a bus I could have cought 2hrs later :evil: :wtf:

thanks :D shame about not being able to finish it first time around though :( , suppose that gives you a good excuse to go back :lol:
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:38 am

Caledonia84 wrote:great report and pictures! I watch a couple do the exact same thing as you and take a tumble on the way down. Only for me to do the x=same thing when I got to where they fell :shock:

thats exactly what i did, we were speaking about how Donnie & his friends all fell the last time he did it and before i knew it i was on my bum :lol:

it gave me a headline for my report tho :)
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Postby erin_niamh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 am

Paula Hubens wrote:Well done on your third Munro! Reading your report brings back good memories (and phantom leg pains).
So yes, where next?

just about to go to bed before i'm up early for my next adventure - Buachaille Etive Mor! looks stunning :D 8)

i know what you mean about the leg pains :lol:
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland