walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Tillymorgan

Hill of Tillymorgan

Postby incompleat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Tillymorgan

Date walked: 21/07/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the longer evenings, the Sub 2000 Marilyns are providing excellent opportunities for some short walks after the kids are in bed. Tonights choice was Hill of Tillymorgan, just off the A96 near the village of Colpy.

The walk starts at Kirkton farm in Kirkton of Culsalmond. There's a sign on the gate pointing you to the start of the walk. I drove through the gate and parked in front of an old barn. Beside the farm is an old church and graveyard which I took the opportunity to explore before starting the walk.

2 Mile Walk by chimpaction, on Flickr

Church by chimpaction, on Flickr

Church View by chimpaction, on Flickr

Churchyard View by chimpaction, on Flickr

To start the walk properly, I followed the sign and headed uphill away from the farm. There are two or three gates to deal with, all of which have smaller side gates (the first had a broken latch, the second was working and the third was wired closed). The old road is easy to walk on and passes between the fields - at this time they were full of lambs. Just before entering the forestry, there's a wooden structure hidden in the tree-line which looks out over the fields. I assume it's a deer hide? From here, there are cracking views back towards Bennachie.

Old Farm Road by chimpaction, on Flickr

Hide by chimpaction, on Flickr

Tillymorgan Panorama by chimpaction, on Flickr

Entering forestry by chimpaction, on Flickr

Next, the road enters the forestry and becomes more muddy, but still easy to walk on. There's a well-made track off to the right, which I assume is for access to the transmitter further round the hill. I ignored this and carried on straight ahead.

Eventually, the track bends to the right, around some fenced off new forestry. There's a faint track which carries on in a northerly direction but I ignored this and followed the track as it curved round in a north-easterly direction. After a short distance, I left the track and took a direct line staright up the hill alongside some old growth.

Hill of Foudland II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Turbines by chimpaction, on Flickr

Glens of Foudland by chimpaction, on Flickr

I reached the summit 30 minutes after leaving the farm. The top of the hill was quite a surprise. Short grass and heather, but lots of piles of slate from old quarrying. There was a large quarry near the trigpoint as well as lots of smaller holes, perfect for falling into if you're not careful.

Slate by chimpaction, on Flickr

Excavations by chimpaction, on Flickr

Hill of Tillymorgan Summit by chimpaction, on Flickr

I returned by the same route.
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Hill of Tillymorgan

Postby dugred » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:06 am

Great post and great pics. My Grandson just turned four years old and I'm introducing him to the delights of the hills. This walk will be perfect so thanks for the report.
dugred
Mountaineer

Postby Whyte » Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 pm

this is a great report, i'm about to head up there tonight
Whyte
Hill Bagger

Postby GariochTom » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Great photographs; really nice colours. This report has definitely inspired me to get up that hill soon! :D
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland