walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Newe

Ben Newe

Postby incompleat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Newe

Date walked: 12/07/2011

Time taken: 1.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another short evening stroll..

After the walk to the Corbett of Carn Mor in the morning, the evening eather was looking good so I decided to squeeze in another short walk. This was to the Sub 2000m Marilyn of Ben Newe, located near Strathdon at the head of Glenbuchat.

The normal carpark for Ben Newe was inaccessible, due to a road closure in Glenbuchat, so I parked up in another carpark, just off the main road south of the ruins of Glenbuchat castle. Here, there are a variety of signed short forest walks and I followed the yellow signs for the longer of the three walks which led round Meall Beag. When Ben Newe came into view, I diverted from the signed walk, following a grassy track up the hill, then cut off through the trees and directly up the hillside to the summit of Ben Newe.

The summit of Ben Newe has a small rock tor with a trigpoint and a wooden bench from which to admire the views. There is also said to be a holy well or pool on the summit. There was a small puddle in one of the rocks - I don't know if that was it. There's more information here.

I sat for a while, waiting for the sun to set and snapped a few photographs of the surrounding landscape and the setting sun before descending back to the car before it got too dark.

Ben Newe Trigpoint by chimpaction, on Flickr

Morven from Ben Newe by chimpaction, on Flickr

Glenbuchat Castle Sunset by chimpaction, on Flickr

Ben Newe Trigpoint by chimpaction, on Flickr

Ben Newe Sunset by chimpaction, on Flickr
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Ben Newe

Postby Paul_Antonia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Good little walk there. Love the pictures, the evening light really makes them special. I'll have to start getting out earlier and later in the day to try for something similar, and you prove that it doesn't have to be an epic mountain to get great views.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland