walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Postby Alan S » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 10/07/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1260m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DATE : 11/07/09

TIME TAKEN : Stuchd an Lochain 3 hours , Meall Buidhe 2 hours

ASCENT : 1260m

WETHEAR : poor in the morning with the cloud base around 600m clear skies in the afternoon

stuchd an lochain first

starting at the end of the road at loch an daimh and heading left over the bridge following the road until this becomes a track,after a few hundred yards there is a small cairn on the left heading straight up the steep slopes in no time.
quick ascent made here to the fence line at coire ban,with the cloud slowly lifting there were great views down glen lyon and to ben lawyers
glen lyon from coire ban.JPG
loch an daimh.JPG
loch an daimh and meall buidhe.JPG

a 5 min breather here to give the muscles a rest before starting the easy climb to sron chona choirein with stuchd an lochain coming into view
stuchd an lochain from sron chona choirein.JPG

you also get a good view of the ridge walk from here to the summit, a great walk in here with more views to the south.
the last climb to the summit seemed no bother after the easy walk round the ridge and making the summit in just under 2 hours.
stuchd an lochain cairn.JPG
lochan nan cat.JPG

we had looked at the circuit round to meall buidhe with the addition of a corbett but this looked longer than it was on the map and with the father in laws first walk in 8 weeks after a knee injury we decided to head back down the same route to the car park in just over an hour.this maybe isnt the best thing to do if you are planning to do the 2 in one day as you have to pass your car to get to meall buidhe.
dam from car park.JPG

after a 15 min break here with the sun now out and hardly any cloud it was time to head for meall buidhe but i knew as soon as i had seen wullie hadnt put the boots back on and was lying taking in the rays i knew i was going alone.
i did think about calling it a day myself but the thought of having to travel back over that wee winding road didnt appeal to me (i dont do well on these roads) so i decided to go for it saying i would be back as soon as.
this turned out to be my quickest munro yet by making it to the summit in 1hr 15mins and the return in 45mins (running most of the way down)
this would have to go down as one of my least favourites with possibly one of the worst paths i have followed, boggy smelly marsh for around 3/4 of the way.
not much time for photos here or breaks as i was a man on a mission :)
the only good thing i could say about meall buidhe would have to be the view, this was one of the best i have had from a hill with great views down rannoch moor to glencoe
meall buidhe.JPG
meall buidhe cairn.JPG
stuchd an lochain from meall buidhe.JPG
rannoch moor.JPG

i really enjoyed the run back down here i try and to this when i can if its possible but the legs were agony for the next few days.
a good day out with stuchd an lochain probably going to get another visit but not meall buidhe

cheers alan
Last edited by Alan S on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 am

I'm the opposite way round - I liked Stuchd an Lochain but think it too hard to slog up again whereas I really enjoyed Meall Bhuidhe - probably 'cos it was bone dry when I did it - it was just such an easy walk. The views were ace but unfortunately I didn't have my camera. I actually descended the front ridge of Stuchd an Lochain to the corrie with Lochan nan Cat - a really beautiful corrie and a fun ridge. The walk back along the loch shore was pretty awful though as it's really bouldery...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland