walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culter Fell and Cardon Hill

Culter Fell and Cardon Hill

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Culter Fell

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 3.45 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

No pictures folks, camera has been busted for a while. Hopefully the words can describe how great a day I had.

Firstly, I didn't care what time I left to start walking at, I was getting my lie in this morning. Starting work early each morning (6.45am to be precise) can leave you feeling a bit busted at the end of each week, but not too bad. Getting into the routine is what is hard though. As normal, I woke at 6am but today was my day off, so back to sleep I went. Next thing, 11.30am. Got up, sorted my stuff and me and the old man bounced off towards Culter Fell at about 1.30pm.

The sun was literally splitting the tree's and it was great. I knew I was getting a good view today, possibly the best I had ever had. Pulled up at Culter Allers farm, dawned the boots and started walking. Met a couple looking for directions and gave them a few pointer as to routes towards the summit (If your reading, hope you had a great day). Fell Shin loomed large as it always does. Problem with Fell Shin is that you go straight from a tared road and BANG, onto a 35-40 degree slope and it does no good for the legs, even the young and fit nigh 18 year old's have to have a wee stretch at the top to get the calfs and ham strings in working order :lol: It gains you height quickly though, about 20 minutes saw me at the top of Fell Shin, and with height, the views also open up. The sun was still blazing down but I wasn't sweating too much thanks too the chilled wind and also too my nike tech tee that does a great job keeping the sweat at bay. I was a good 5 minutes a head of my dad, and was stopping every few minutes to let him catch up. He does a good job keeping up. I even had extra time to have a mini scramble on the rock band at the top of Fell Shin.

The hardest of the day was over and bar one push, the summit was in clear view. It wasn't the summit that got me excited though. The view north was simply jaw dropping. The whole of the most prominent Southern Munro's were in clear view. Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin, Ben Lomond, Ben More and Sob Binnien, An Casteil and Beinn A Chroin (I think). The whole lot of them could be seen. The view was just amazing and simply the best I have ever seen in person. The view south was fantastic aswell, with the big hills in Moffat prominent, as was Broad Law. I could even see as far as the Lake District and what I presume to be Scaffel Pike as it was the most prominent peak on that horizon. The big Corbetts over to the west could also be seen.

After a bite to eat, we dropped down to the left of the summit and headed out over King Bank Head which was a bit of a bog fest. We followed the fence line out onto Cardon Hill which sits at 675m, a fine effort of a hill but is very easy as all the height has already been gained bar maybe 50 meters. With Tinto even further west now we could get a better view of the Southern Highlands and the Arrochar Alps popped into view aswell. I could see as far west as what I guessed was Arran, as if the highlands could be seen on that horizon surely the coastal islands could be seen also. The view was really something else. Not even a picture could have captured it like the eye could.

We dropped back down off Cardon Hill and followe the fence line the way we had came in and onto Tippet Knowe and followed the ridge back down to the road and out to the car.

Another Southern Upland day is done and my 6th time at the summit of Culter Fell. It just show's you, you don't have to go far to get the views, but it has got my appetite in the mood for another Highland adventure :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Re: Culter Fell and Cardon Hill

Postby JGKES » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Enjoyed reading your report, especially the humorous tone to your telling of the day's adventure.It shows you don't have to be bagging big tops to have a wonderful day.I have a soft spot for the Southern Uplands ,having had several rewarding trips there and being particularly taken by the Galloway region.I had to reach for my Southern Uplands guide by Terry Marsh to locate Culter Fell.From your report the views sounded superb, from the Munros of the Southern Highlands to the hills of Lakelan.May I recommend a trip to the Lakes and an ascent of Scafell Pike from Seathwaite? I think you and your dad will like it.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Culter Fell and Cardon Hill

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:20 pm

JGKES wrote:Enjoyed reading your report, especially the humorous tone to your telling of the day's adventure.It shows you don't have to be bagging big tops to have a wonderful day.I have a soft spot for the Southern Uplands ,having had several rewarding trips there and being particularly taken by the Galloway region.I had to reach for my Southern Uplands guide by Terry Marsh to locate Culter Fell.From your report the views sounded superb, from the Munros of the Southern Highlands to the hills of Lakelan.May I recommend a trip to the Lakes and an ascent of Scafell Pike from Seathwaite? I think you and your dad will like it.

Thanks mate, I think people only read reports if there are pictures so I tried my best to describe it as I saw it and put a little humour into it. I think the SU are heavily under-rated, like you said, you don't need to go high to enjoy your day. I haven't walked in Galloway yet but will definatley be doing Merrick before the year is out so will get a little feel for those hills over the next few months. Yepp, the views were simply stunning, couldn't quite believe how great it was. I do plan on doing some walking and climbing in the Lakes, I had the oppurtunity to go down for a weekend for my birthday but chose Glen Coe instead. Hopefully I'll be able to make it down in the near future.
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland