walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four more at Strathfarrar on a Stunning Day...

Four more at Strathfarrar on a Stunning Day...

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 24/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26.4 km

Ascent: 1740m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

And so to Strathfarrar; the locked glen... You get ten hours for this walk courtesy of the locked gate at the entrance to the Glen; or longer if you cycle down; but motorised vehicles are banned from spending the night here. A good thing I think, it keeps it as unspoilt as it can be... I've been waiting for a nice day to turn these four into blue pins; and today was that day; 163 miles door to door, and I've arrived at the gate 15 minutes early. At smack on 09:00 the lady opens the gate and gives me my pass for the day... I'm excited; it feels like more of an adventure with an entrance gate...

DSCN0460.JPG

The glen was beautiful, and driving down it, totally empty of all life except wildlife; roof down, in the sun was working. The perfect start to the day, and a touch more sedate than the drive from Bridge of Allan ;)

DSCN0465.JPG

The ascent begins on a bulldozed track; not for long mind, but still a pleasant start. The view dominated by what will be the highest point of the walk, the summit of Sgurr a'Choire Ghlais

DSCN0466.JPG

Once the short section of the bulldozed track is done, the path follows the river; well that's if you can call it a path; blissful sections like this are all too brief...

DSCN0468.JPG

It's pretty enough though; even if you get the sense that you want the walk to get a little more interesting; it looks a long way to the hills!!

DSCN0470.JPG

The remainder of the route up to the first summit of the day Sgurr na Ruaidhe can only be described as a trudge through a combination of path, open moorland, and bog...

DSCN0471.JPG

It's a full 850 metres of unrelenting ascent, and the legs were burning by the time I made the first summit at 11:00 on the nose... The good news is that all of the horrible stuff is now done; this is definitely the right direction to walk the ridge; the views of the ridge, and the walking just gets better and better and better from here. It's stunning...

DSCN0478.JPG

It's spongy grass on the descent towards the beallach between you and munro number 2 of the day; Carn nan Gobhar; perfect for a walking, and a real spring in the step after the boggy ascent.

DSCN0481.JPG

It's only a short pull to the top of Carn nan Gobhar mainly on grassy slopes, but with a final stretch on large boulders which dogs may struggle with though there's nothing difficult for you...

DSCN0484.JPG

And from the summit the remainder of the ridge opens out in all it's glory... It's every bit as stunning as it looks and one of the nicest remotest ridges I've walked... It was empty, and I had it to myself to savour...

DSCN0487.JPG

The walk down the slopes toward Sgurr a'Choire Ghlais (the big one that dominates the view at the start) is gorgeous,; the terrain easy underfoot; and the views to die for...

Strathfarrar Panorama 1.jpg

Easy walking...

DSCN0503.JPG

It's working...

Strathfarrar Panorama 2.jpg

After a good climb the summit is reached which boasts a trig point and two large well formed cairns... It was blowing a little to say the least; whilst it may look like a stunning summers day the wind was up now...

DSCN0514.JPG

Strathfarrar Panorama 3.jpg

DSCN0526.JPG

Looking back the views were never as good as in the direction I was walking, so I'd definitely recommend the route in this direction if it's the sights you're after...

DSCN0538.JPG

The final munro is Sgurr Fhuar-thuill over the top of a minor summit in between. All gorgeous walking though, and I decided to leave lunch until the end of the ridge...

DSCN0544.JPG

The descent is easy, and gorgeous, and the walk back along the glen long but relaxing...

All in all, a 7 hour jaunt, plus 300 metres in the car; almost forgot to stop recording the route!!!

DSCN0579.JPG

2011 - 07 - 24 - Strathfarrar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Four more at Strathfarrar on a Stunning Day...

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:44 am

For all sorts of reasons we have the odd distinction of doing each of the Strathfarrars on separate days - so it's great to see them all linked up. Glad you got such a good day for it!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby monty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 am

Nice report Andrew. Excellent weather on a nice grassy ridge. Superb :D After all the rocky summits i have been on recently this would make a nice change. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info - ill be defo doing these as you suggest.

Brilliant you got all them lovely hills to yourself.

Some nice photos....especially the beer :D

Another fast time i notice 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Great set of pictures again Andrew,as dooterbang has already said another quick time,not sure I could get round & back to the car before they are locked. :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Hmm, hmm, hmm... :think: . Firstly, great report as usual with some lovely pics :D . Secondly, I have always pencilled these as 2 trips or an overnighter but - although you clearly walk quicker than me - your time suggests that it is easily possible in one day. Now, if I can just get myself there for that time in the morning, I'll be fine... :?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:53 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Hmm, hmm, hmm... :think: . Firstly, great report as usual with some lovely pics :D . Secondly, I have always pencilled these as 2 trips or an overnighter but - although you clearly walk quicker than me - your time suggests that it is easily possible in one day. Now, if I can just get myself there for that time in the morning, I'll be fine... :?

Thanks Leithy; you'd be fine doing these in one day I'm sure... And you Gammy!! You've got another three hours... Also if you went with a friend and had two cars, or even a bike, you'd take a 7 km (ish) walk back along the road out of the equation saving you an hour and a half or so...

dooterbang wrote:Another fast time i notice 8)

Lets not go there; I'll end up destroyed like Monty was in the Fannichs!! :lol: :lol:

monty wrote:Nice report Andrew. Excellent weather on a nice grassy ridge. Superb :D After all the rocky summits i have been on recently this would make a nice change. :D

Do it; treat yourself... :thumbup:

dogplodder wrote:For all sorts of reasons we have the odd distinction of doing each of the Strathfarrars on separate days

And miss that lovely ridge... :crazy: :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland